Piracy ... where do you stand ?

Started by Migs, June 06, 2011, 07:21:59 PM

henwrench

And personally, on the piracy issue, I don't dig it. I feel honoured to be able to support the artist's I love. Because if I couldn't, they wouldn't exist.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: henwrench on June 08, 2011, 12:25:05 PMAnd personally, on the piracy issue, I don't dig it. I feel honoured to be able to support the artist's I love. Because if I couldn't, they wouldn't exist.
                                                                    henwrench
I agree with this completly..................... when the new Fleet Foxes http://fleetfoxes.com/music.php CD came out a few weeks ago, I made a point to go get the CD from my local music store, to support this wonderful band.  I love the new CD and was listening to it a lot.  My car got broke into two nights ago and the bastards stole all my CD's.  I am planning on going back to the store this weekend and getting another copy, double support.  Its that good.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Quote from: henwrench on June 08, 2011, 12:25:05 PMAnd personally, on the piracy issue, I don't dig it. I feel honoured to be able to support the artist's I love. Because if I couldn't, they wouldn't exist.

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 08, 2011, 12:33:02 PMMy car got broke into two nights ago and the bastards stole all my CD's.  I am planning on going back to the store this weekend and getting another copy, double support.  Its that good.

Damn, sorry to hear that, Dave. But glad to hear of your dedication!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

OsCKilO

Quote from: henwrench on June 08, 2011, 12:21:55 PMalledgedly.

Good save!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Migs

See this is the thing, most people will support the bands they love.  But what about when you are talking about things you don't know you love yet ... or making a compilation casette for your girlfriend.

Reatively recently, the high end handbag makers like Luis Vuitton have stopped pursuing counterfeiters in China because the fake handbags do two things.  (1) they provide free advertising and (2) they are a gateway product whereby many people who start with a fake go on to buy the real thing.

Now it is a ludicrous argument to say that each copied song or movie equates to a lost sale to a struggling artist.  It doesn't.  From my personal experience, I have on several occasions listened to ripped individual songs in copied MP3 format and gone on to buy the full CD.  There is no point having expensive Shure earbuds and listening to rubbish compressed MP3s.  So is my intial "stealing" of one song justified by my subsequent purchase of the full CD ?

Another example of "theft" occurred at a Tommy Emmanuel concert.  I may or may not have snuck my MBR into a Tommy concert or two.  I know his tour manager has door staff srictly police the "no recording device" rule wherever possible.  She is actually a bit of a nasty woman from my dealings with her.  Anyway, at one concert Tommy told the story of a concert tour where they had to find extra dates because concerts were selling out at an amazing rate.  He was having to do maninee concerts and repeat the show at night to keep up with demand.  This was in countries where his record company does not market him at all.  He said that he was very grateful for the bootleg copies of his work out there on Youtube, without which his popularity would not be the same.

Now for those of you who sit in the black and white world of "it is straight out theft however you want to justify it to yourself", I think there are shades of grey.  In my day job I put white collar crims in jail for things like insider trading and manipulatig financial markets - they always say nobody gets hurt and therefore they shouldnt go to jail.  Either way, there are shades of grey in all of these things.

The arguments both ways are interesting though ... and another great thing about this site.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Gnasty

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Rata-tat-tat

Wasn't that Tom Hank's best friend???
recorder
Tascam DP-02