A non-existent TV theme

Started by jackofall, June 03, 2011, 07:51:18 AM

jackofall

TV series
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I really like the music of one of the News programmes on TV here in the UK. There's a continuous repeated phrase, like a pulse whilst chords change underneath it. I thought I'd try something similar. With my limited knowledge, I think the modes shift against the repeated notes, having an interesting effect...Am I talking BS? I thought it sounded a bit like a theme for a police series or something like that.

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Bluesberry

Wow man, this sounds deadly.  You are not talking BS at all, what you are describing is what Satriani calls the Pitch Axis Theory.

QuoteJoe Satriani quote from a G3 interview:

As a prolific user of this technique, Joe Satriani said when asked about the Pitch Axis Theory ". . . Pitch Axis is key signatures evolving around one tonal center. In case that's too technical it can be expressed as different scales played off one bass note."

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hi, I've no idea about the technical side of things, (I was brought up on 3 majors and a minor) but I love the composition and it sounds great to me.............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

hardlock

I don't know theory either but you've definately captured something there for sure!  Cool tune and effect!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Facemask93

Very cool track , like it lots , dont really understand pitch axis though, is that something to do with the ballpark having a slope on it

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Rata-tat-tat

Yes... TV Backer all the way. Yes love the arrangement. Everything fits nicely. Great job
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Les Warner

Hi great piece of music and I agree that it could definitely be used as a theme track. Regards Les W

Greeny

Yep... it has that TV cop theme sound. I don't understand pitch axis (lol), but maybe it's because a police siren has that same kind of two-tone oscillating sound. Well, it used to in the days of Z-cars, lol.

Very fine work though. A new career opportunity?!

The Reverend 48

This definitely has the makings of a great TV theme
Well Done