Fender mustang blowed up

Started by peterp, June 02, 2011, 11:31:40 PM

peterp

Fender mustang I amp blowed up, it blowed up real good...  ::) :P

Well bugger my not so old "Mustang I" amp packed it in last night.
Was working fine one moment, shut off and now won't power on at all.
So it is off to the shop with it on Saturday, fortunately Fenders warranty is usually pretty good.
Hopefully no big hassle to get it patched up.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Geir

bummer !!

hope you get it fixed or replaced quickly
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

guitarron

Quote from: peterp on June 02, 2011, 11:31:40 PMFender mustang I amp blowed up, it blowed up real good...  ::) :P

Well bugger my not so old "Mustang I" amp packed it in last night.
Was working fine one moment, shut off and now won't power on at all.
So it is off to the shop with it on Saturday, fortunately Fenders warranty is usually pretty good.
Hopefully no big hassle to get it patched up.
Keep us posted-
I bought a Mustang 3 about 4 months ago i really love it-keeping an eye on it

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

I was playing my Mustang II last night.  I love mine too, keep us posted.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

peterp

Much what I expected, the shop tech tried to do a "power on reset"  and it still would not start-up.
They said these amps are basically just a computer inside and nothing they could do for it in the shop.
So it has been sent off into "Fender Space" to hopefully come back in working order.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

guitarron

Quote from: peterp on June 05, 2011, 03:15:25 PMSo it has been sent off into "Fender Space" to hopefully come back in working order.
oh brother-

it just stopped working on you?
did it happen while trying to update the latest os version?
do any lights come on at all?
just curios
hope they fix it soon-
sweetwater will  replace it the first year

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

peterp

It just turned itself off in mid chord  :-\
Someone suggested I try to tune down my SG to c# for a some Black Sabbath songs and I was  power cording away when it gave up.

It was already on the current firmware, I updated that a few weeks ago.
No lights come on, and my UPS/power conditioner was showing no current draw at all from it.

A fellow from Fender's Tech support labs said they had not heard of any mustangs doing this before and he thought from the description the power supply might have given up the ghost.

Have to wait and see what they say.

I initially thought it might have been an allergic reaction to a Gibson product being plugged into it.  ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

I would expect the power supply to have a fuse. It used to be that most guitar amps would have a user-accessible fuse on the back panel, like this:

But nowadays, I guess the greedy buggers desperately need the extra 50 cents profit they make by skipping the rear panel fuse holder and soldering the fuse inside the chassis instead.

You didn't mention any smell when it stopped working while you were playing. In my experience, when electronic components burn out, they stink. But when fuses blow, there's usually no smell. If you didn't smell anything, then it was probably a fuse soldered onto the power supply that blew. Unless, of course, the cost of solder was cutting into their profits and they decided not to put fuses in their amps anymore.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SdC

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 05, 2011, 10:29:40 PMI would expect the power supply to have a fuse. It used to be that most guitar amps would have a user-accessible fuse on the back panel, like this:

But nowadays, I guess the greedy buggers desperately need the extra 50 cents profit they make by skipping the rear panel fuse holder and soldering the fuse inside the chassis instead.

You didn't mention any smell when it stopped working while you were playing. In my experience, when electronic components burn out, they stink. But when fuses blow, there's usually no smell. If you didn't smell anything, then it was probably a fuse soldered onto the power supply that blew. Unless, of course, the cost of solder was cutting into their profits and they decided not to put fuses in their amps anymore.

[joke mode]With the Fender Mustang, the FUSE(c) is supplied on the CD-ROM.

[/joke mode]

recorder
Boss BR-600

guitarron

Quote from: peterp on June 05, 2011, 09:25:08 PMI initially thought it might have been an allergic reaction to a Gibson product being plugged into it.  ;D
my Epi and Mustang seemed to have hit it off ok ;-)

no fuse on the Mustang 3 model either

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder