**BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT RANT**

Started by Burtog, June 02, 2011, 01:11:05 PM

Greeny

Quote from: Burtog on June 08, 2011, 05:16:49 AMThere could be a competition on this site, anyone can enter a tune in a set time frame and then other songcrafters can vote on their favourite, a yearly thing. Probably getting carried away now, apologies!  :D

I've seen this get raised from time to time, but we always tend to decide (that's 'we' as in the general consensus) that we don't want a competitive element on this site. One of the main reasons is that we're all so different - i.e. how do you compare a singer-songwriter with a virtuoso guitar player? Both are talented in different ways. It would undermine the supportive 'anything goes' nature of what we have here. Others may disagree, but I think it would lead to a lot of trouble.

We tend to quietly champion the things we like though. The cream always seems rises to the top through multiple bumps etc.

64Guitars

Yeah, I agree with Greeny's comments. The trouble with any sort of voting on song posts is that it suggests that some members are better than other members. And that's something we want to avoid. Everyone has something unique to offer and we want to encourage and support all of our members.

Anyway, how do you define "better" or "best" in music (or any art form, for that matter)? I say there's no such thing. It's purely a matter of taste. So any so-called talent contest is really a measure of popularity, not talent. And popularity is a meaningless statistic which may be of great interest to record companies but it doesn't matter at all to me. Why should I care who's most popular? I like what I like, whether it's popular or not. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, beautiful music is in the ear of the listener.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Rata-tat-tat

Ok... the wifey had me watch "The Voice" last night. It's getting down to the final round. I'm not into the whole dancing part of musicianship, but I guess if you want to play the game you have to learn how to do it. Anyhow... not my cup of tea, but I did like the idea of them starting to use the internet as a tool to communicate with the fans (If they are in fact communicating with them). The coaches consist of well known artists that actually coach and mentor instead of judge and degrade. Again this show is not something I would go out of my way to watch, but the musicians seem to be taking it back from the untrained... untalented judges like ""Got Talent" and "Idol". I didn't go to the site... but I believe they are even streaming it which also leads me to believe they are jumping on the Techno wagon. If ur into that sort of music I'd give the show a semi thumbs up.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Gritter

I hope you are all getting "something" in return from your wives for being "forced" to watch such tripe!

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: Gritter on June 08, 2011, 11:09:04 AMI hope you are all getting "something" in return from your wives for being "forced" to watch such tripe!
I get to cook her dinner and mow the lawn do the laundry wash the car go shopping for food and work full time. Now thats fair don't ya think Sandy???
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Oldrottenhead

that's the same deal i got tod, i am a sex god in the kitchen but i don't have to watch bgt or any of that tosh , i get my mbr out when the rest of the house cosys round the tv. its not on enough imho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 08, 2011, 12:16:20 PMi am a sex god in the kitchen but i don't have to watch bgt or any of that tosh

Ha Ha Ha... I'm gonna have to use that line on her. Next time she wants me to watch some of that crud... I'll just offer her some kitchen sex. See where it goes LOL... Now I just can't get that picture of you running around butt naked with nothing but an apron on out of my head. All yours T... can't post pics from this computer.
recorder
Tascam DP-02