Surface Detail (Lyrics/Vox/Keys ORH Drums/Percussion Rata-tat-tat

Started by Rata-tat-tat, May 23, 2011, 09:44:30 PM

SE

Love your drumming, really cool vibe, Orh,s vox match the cool vibe lots to like, excellent.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Hi Guys, nice piece of work. Can't beat the sound of real drums and the vox is spot on. Good stuff.........Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Sensational drumming, really good.  I am trying to listen and understand what you are doing here, I am going to download this one and play along with you on my Roland kit for practice.  Jazzy, groovy, smooth, real tastefull fills, a light touch and a heavy groove man.  Is that paradiddles between the ride and snare ? Sheeeeeooot, thats tasty drumming. Vocally you almost sound like Greeny here Jim.  Fantastic stuff.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 25, 2011, 06:45:28 AMSensational drumming, really good.  I am trying to listen and understand what you are doing here, I am going to download this one and play along with you on my Roland kit for practice.  Jazzy, groovy, smooth, real tastefull fills, a light touch and a heavy groove man.  Is that paradiddles between the ride and snare ? Sheeeeeooot, thats tasty drumming. Vocally you almost sound like Greeny here Jim.  Fantastic stuff.

BB this is 4/4 counted out in 16th notes. You would count it out like this 1 E AND A 2 E AND A 3 E AND A 4 E AND A. I basically did some free style so it would be a real pain in the neck to write it out. But basically you play some phatom notes on the on the snare on the 1/8"/, 1/16" and whole notes... I guess you could call it some sort of a paradidle, but those are mostly sticking techniques which I really suck at. Lt Rt Lt Lt Rt Lt Rt Rt and so on.

When I play jazz I like to improv fills (Feel the music and go for it)... If it sounds good then your probably spot on. Right now I'm having a hard time hearing the playback of the track in my cans so you will probably notice a little latency in some spots... (Track not syncing) Hope this helps. If you would like some good instruction try googling Jarred Faulk he posts some really good techniques for rock drumming which can easily translate into this type of playing. I can't send you any links until I get home... But I can tell you I bought his video set and it helped me out a great deal.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Bluesberry

Thanks Rata....I have been watching some of the Jarred Falk vids on U-tube, he is a very good drum instructor.  Thanks for the explaination of how you did this, I am going to play along with you tonight when I get off work, see if I can keep up..........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

lg

Whatta ya mean 'hiccups' Tod?
All I hear is pure 'Heaven'!
Great job!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 25, 2011, 05:39:18 PMhic im very very drunk burp

Quote from: lg on May 25, 2011, 04:13:24 PMWhatta ya mean 'hiccups' Tod?
All I hear is pure 'Heaven'!
Great job!

LG

OK maybe it was one of Jims "hics"... LOL
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann