Need genuine advice about finding band members

Started by Blooby, May 17, 2011, 08:32:40 PM

Blooby

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on May 19, 2011, 02:38:49 AMI could be WAY off base here, and I certainly mean no offense, but I find a little odd that you are being SO specific for a band that is doing covers

That is an excellent point.  Oddly, I can explain...

While I have written songs in the past, I find more enjoyment out of performing songs I really love.  The specificity comes more from my love of certain instrumentation and jamming.  And when I say jamming, I mean true group improvisation and not just comping while somebody takes a long solo.

As I read it back, it is potentially off-putting, but at the same time, Launched summed up my thoughts perfectly: "Time to play is preciously short." 

Once again, I appreciate everybody's input.  I guess we'll see how this later chapter turns out soon.

Peace.

Blooby

Rata-tat-tat

Hey Blooby... I personally got some laughs out of your post. Not because you came off as egocentric, rather because I know how frustrating it can be. I've been in many bands over the past 25+ years and not one of them fit my "Ideal Situation". The band I'm in now is the closest I've ever been able to accomplish musical Nirvana with. That is mainly because we are a 3 piece... we started out as a 4 piece sometimes 5 and whittled it down from there. We do lack dynamic capabilities, but the payoff is that we don't have an additional Ahole in the band. We managed to pull a bass player in off of Craigslist. The first audition did not go so well for him, but both my guitar player and I talked it over and we saw some potential... little did we know how much potential this guy had. The next rehersal he came in and blew our doors off vocally and with his musicianship. To sum it up... try not to be too critical when you audition... look for those little qualities in the individual that most people overlook. (Willingness/Comprehension/Versatility etc.)Understand that nerves may be getting the best of them for their first go... if after the 3rd rehersal they aren't panning out then give them the kind axe. Bottom line don't jump to conclusions too quickly you may be overlooking a diamond in the rough.

V/R
Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Blooby

Thanks again for all you input.  I edited down my rant, and I hopefully come off a little less psychotic.

Blooby

For the kind of music I want to do, I hear a Hammond, a piano, and occasional Rhodes.  I'm looking for somebody a bit dichotomous...somebody who could tinkle the ivories like Chuck Leavell, lean into a chord and milk it for all its worth like Booker T., or tear it up like Jimmy Smith.  To me, some level of improvisation is a must.  I don't wish to make this sound like I am the be-all end-all of musicians.   I assure you I am no graduate of The Berklee School of Music, but I do have a vision these days, and I think some good can come of it.

I am much less interested in chops these days as opposed to note choice, groove, dynamics, steady time, keeping it simple, keeping it interesting, locking in, listening to and reacting to others, actively backing soloists, or simply laying out. I simply can't do the typical bar band "wall of noise" thing any longer.

Equally important to me is to have fun. I am an administrator at a middle school and have my share of stress in life...as we all do.  It's nice to get together with pleasant and like-minded individuals to forget about the problems du jour.  

In addition to classic rock, I would also like to tackle some Zappa, a few soul and/or blues tunes ("Out of the Rain" by Etta James springs to mind), and some of the simpler jazz standards as well such as "My Favorite Things," "Footprints," "All Blues," or "Take Five"  or even a "Cissy Strut" or "Chameleon." I always thought it would be interesting to organically segue from another song in and out of one of these tunes. I'm open to suggestions, and anybody could have veto power.  

Peace.

Farmjazz

Quite the edit, Bruce! I'll have to admit to being fine with the previous verbose version, but that's just me I guess. This one leaves me with the question "Is this ad for forming a band, or weekly jam, or ???"

Quotebut I do have a vision these days, and I think some good can come of it.

Okay! So, what's the vision? I'm down with joining up with a guy who has a cool vision, so, tell me what it is. Should we hand pick some tasty covers and do them "our" way, or what? Would you be okay with some originals that I might bring to the project? Do you have any originals? Are we going to be recording? Gigging?

QuoteI'm open to suggestions, and anybody could have veto power.

Okay. Sounds a little wishy-washy here since I don't have enough information yet. I'm more of a "bullets" kind of guy anyway. Something like:

> Experienced musician with rehearsal space seeks accomplished keyboardist.
     > Looking to round out a cool, groove-oriented band for fun, recording and lite gigging schedule
     > Weekly rehearsals in Alachua
     > No druggies, drunks, or flakes please
     > Day job professionals welcome
     > Genres include Classic Rock, R&B, Soul, Blues, Cool Jazz and Regional
     > All covers and original ideas will be considered
     > Lets have fun and develop a tight unit to be proud of!

Call me at ************* I'm a nice guy, really.

For me, this is the kind of information that could get the "consideration" juices flowing. I'm not sure if this is the response you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Best of luck in forming your dream group Bruce!  

OsCKilO

Quote from: Farmjazz on May 20, 2011, 11:30:43 AM> Experienced musician with rehearsal space seeks accomplished keyboardist.
     > Looking to round out a cool, groove-oriented band for fun, recording and lite gigging schedule
     > Weekly rehearsals in Alachua
     > No druggies, drunks, or flakes please
     > Day job professionals welcome
     > Genres include Classic Rock, R&B, Soul, Blues, Cool Jazz and Regional
     > All covers and original ideas will be considered
     > Lets have fun and develop a tight unit to be proud of!

Call me at ************* I'm a nice guy, really.

That is a winner.....!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

I like the bullet points, Bruce - Possibly incorporate some in with the paragraphs? Entice them with a good read and then solidify!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Blooby

Again, appreciate all the input.  I intially asked if I came across like a freak in the initial post, and in reading between the lines (and sometimes not), I think it's fair to say I was. If I didn't respect your opinions so highly, I never would have posted my inquiry.

Jump to last night.  The drummer and bass player brought up my email diatribe a couple times.  Yes, we had a laugh about it, but it served as a launching point for a post-jam discussion that went on over an hour.  After we agreed on some songs to refine or tackle, we discussed the nuances of what makes for interesting improvisation.  And the kicker was I didn't start the conversation.

I'm done with my rant with or without bulleted lists for now.  We have some future practices lined up, and then we'll bring in a couple of the Hammond players that responded to my Craigslist ad and rant/diatribe follow-up.

On a different note, our drummer can work his way through New Orleans influenced drumming, so I'm hoping we can take a stab at some Meters and more Little Feat.  I'm already eyeing "Hey Pocky A-Way" and "Dixie Chicken."  It's great to have somebody who doesn't push the beat so hard.

Nice to be enthused about playing again.

Peace.

Blooby

Blooby

Quote from: Gritter on May 20, 2011, 05:34:58 PMSupergroup...

Quote from: Gritter on May 20, 2011, 05:32:40 PM

Too funny.  I just noticed The Power Station and comepletely glossed over the fact that it was a new Blooby cover.  I really need to load these in a digital photo frame, perhaps at work.

Peace.

Blooby