The term "great bump" ??????

Started by Farrell Jackson, May 13, 2011, 01:34:59 PM

Farrell Jackson

I've seen the term "great bump" used a few times in song replies. May be a dense question but what does it mean?

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Oldrottenhead

when a song falls off the first few pages it is less likely to be noticed, so to bring the song to the attention of new members or members who may have missed the song it is "bumped".
to bump a song you add a new comment to it and it comes back to the top of the page. so when you see the comment "great bump" it is referring to this practice. usually it's "great bump blueberry"
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

Also this is the most logical approach to bumping your own material is found here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4399.msg52019#msg52019

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

I say if you find a song you like, that really moves you, no matter how old, no matter how far down the line...........give it a BUMP......its a public service really.......Bump away good people, bump away.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI say if you find a song you like, that really moves you, no matter how old, no matter how far down the line...........give it a BUMP......its a public service really.......Bump away good people, bump away.
that is why we have the term "great bump bb" the man is a pearl diver finding little nuggets of beauty at the bottom of our ever growing archive. a fine upstanding servant of our community.

bb i raise my glass to you.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

and I raise my glass back at ya Jim buddy.  A few red ales tonight.......mmmmmm.  I may have to go pearl diving after a few more beverages.........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

As well as bumping the pearls, it's also a good idea to look through the neglected posts and comment on them. You'd be amazed at how many good posts there are with zero replies. There are also many posts with only one or two replies. It's a shame that so many posts go unnoticed. I'm sure it's not a reflection on the quality of the songs. Some of them are quite good. They probably go unnoticed because the site gets really busy and posts can get pushed to page 2 in a very short time.

So I encourage everyone to look through the neglected posts occasionally. It's easy to do. Just click on the "Replies" column heading in the message list of any of the boards. This sorts the messages by number of replies. Clicking it again reverses the sort order. When sorted in ascending order (just one click), all of the zero-replies posts will be grouped together starting on the first page.

Or, for your convenience, you can use these links which are already sorted by number of replies:

Original Songs:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?board=91.0;sort=replies

Cover Songs:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?board=92.0;sort=replies

Collaborations:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?board=93.0;sort=replies

I'd also like to point out that there can be a negative side to bumping. It's already hard enough to keep up with all the new posts at Songcrafters. Adding a whole bunch of old posts that have been bumped can cause some newer posts to go unnoticed. I think the answer is moderation. A few bumps per day is a good thing. A few dozen bumps per day is probably not. So try not to overdo it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website