what's your favourite bowie album.

Started by Oldrottenhead, May 09, 2011, 01:55:47 PM

ODH

Hunk Dory for me, too.

Wierd thing is that Bowie was never much of an influence on me directly, but I know was a massive influence on a lot of the bands and artists that have been influential on me, if that makes sense.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Geir

I don't really have a Bowie favourite album :o :o :o ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

ODH

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 10, 2011, 03:03:33 AMjust had a listen to hunky dory and i think it just pips ziggy stardust. quicksand is worth the price of the album alone.
Quicksand, absolutely, just dialled it up on my iPod.  Trouble with Hunky Dory is when I listen to it I can't get it out my head.  Eight Line Poem will be in there for weeks now.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Blooby

I like a lot of Bowie's stuff, but he was somebody that I never sought out to listen to. I'll have to remedy that.

There's a feature on him in the latest Classic Rock magazine as an FYI.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

in the uk i dont think i have a single friend that doesn't like bowie, it's probably a british thing, in that folk of a certain age grew up with bowie as the soundtrack to their lives and for the punk generation he was one of the few acts that survived that revolution at the time and still had some street cred well certainly up until about let's dance anyway.

im sure in the uk most folk over 40 have some bowie on their piepod. i wonder if that is the same across the big pond.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

My 20 y.o. daughter can't live without some Bowie.

Result!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

my two girls 9 and 15 (i know stupid nmes for girls) love bowie too.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 11, 2011, 03:50:25 AMFolk of a certain age grew up with bowie as the soundtrack to their lives

I grew up in New York, and that was very true of many people and their musical relationship with Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen.  Much as I hate some Billy Joel songs, he really captured the spirit of the times in others. If you didn't like The Boss, you were basically exiled/excommunicated.  And I didn't appreciate him till later.

Now I live in the south and think that the early Allman Brothers are great.  Maybe I'm just a victim of circumstance.

Maybe I should just get it over and move to Ireland, so I can truly embrace drinking songs.

Blooby

henwrench

I love Bowie but am ashamed to admit I have never heard/owned one of his albums, yet I had pretty much all of his singles as a child/teen. I pretty much wore out my copy of Up The Hill Backwards and can still see the picture sleeve in my minds eye, of a guy with a surgeons mask on. I must've been about 12 or 13.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Low and Heroes. They are an inseparable pair in my view. Those albums together with Lust for Life and The Idiot changed my musical outlook. Would've loved to be in Berlin with Iggy and Bowie. Scary Monsters is pretty close after that for me. Love the early stuff, Ziggy pips Aladdin and Hunky for me but Low and Heroes just ooze musical cool.

Bowie and Roxy Music were my two greatest musical influences, but I grew up when they were changing the musical scene in the UK (ie early 70s).

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR