Amp sound samples..

Started by Kenneth, April 29, 2011, 02:10:27 PM

Bluesberry

^ good analysis Andy.  It looks like your guesses and mine aren't too far off from each other.  I'll re-summarize mine here for comparison.  I think you are closer to the truth than I was.  Interesting exercise.  Your 2&3 are the exact opposite of my 2&3.  

1. Tube ( I never did say what I thought.  I will go with Fender Champ)
2. Vox tube amp
3. solid state Marshall amp
4. small Fender Tube amp

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

Yeah, it's a toss up for me over 2 and 3. My choice is based on my Vox AC4TV - it does jangle and chime, but now that I own a Vox I've found that the Vox overdrive has a more mushy/meaty sound than the Marshall overdrive. And Marshall have a great clean sound which can get very biting if you find it. So, taking that into consideration (and tossing a coin), I went for 2 is Marshall and 3 is Vox.

On Tube versus Valve, mebbe others can, but I don't believe I can tell unless a) the amp's dialed in badly or b) I'm playing through the thing myself. And even then, I'm not convinced it makes that much difference once you've got the right tone/groove going.

I'm looking forward to hearing the truth Kenneth :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Kenneth

Allright guys, thanks.

It is actually a Roland Cube, the new version - 40 "XL"

I played it at apartment- friendly bedroom levels for all 4 samples using the new "power sqeezer" function which is supposed to simulate tube sounds at low volumes and fatten and compress the sound.

Sample
#1 Brit combo (Vox model)
#2 Tweed (Fender model)
#3 Black Panel (Fender model but with the gain at 3/4)
#4 Dyna amp ( Rolands own with the touch sensitivity for break up when you dig in)

That was interesting to hear thoughts of the sounds at low volumes, because I have cranked this up loud and it sounds way more convincing played louder.
I played an older model at a jam with a couple buddies about 2 or 3 years ago and it did a wonderful job, so I decided to go out and buy one from the new series.
   Thanks for the responses!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: Kenneth on April 30, 2011, 05:49:19 AM
Quote from: oldrottenhead on April 29, 2011, 02:28:36 PMwhat is an amp? is it short for amplifier if it is i know what an amp is or if its those things to do with electrickery that is magic i'll never understand

Basic stuff really....

The Nernst equation (Equation 3.21), which expresses the required membrane voltage to equilibrate the ion flux through the membrane for an existing concentration ratio of a particular ion species. Because the Nernst equation evaluates the ion moving force due to a concentration gradient as a voltage [V], this may be represented in equivalent electric circuits as a battery.

The cable model of an axon, which is composed of external and internal resistances as well as the electric properties of the membrane. This equivalent circuit may be used to calculate the general cable equation of the axon  describing the subthreshold transmembrane voltage response to a constant current stimulation. The time-varying equations describing the behavior of the transmembrane voltage due to a step-impulse stimulation are also of interest (though more complicated).  

The equivalent electric circuits describing the behavior of the axon under conditions of nerve propagation, or under space-clamp and voltage-clamp conditions, electric circuit for the parallel-conductance model of the membrane, which contains pathways for sodium, potassium, and chloride ion currents, this equation includes the following passive electric parameters (electronic components): membrane capacitance, Nernst voltages for sodium, potassium, and chloride ions, as well as the leakage conductance. Further, the circuit includes the behavior of the active parameters, the sodium and potassium conductances, as described by the Hodgkin-Huxley equations

Q(s) Qu(s)
Am ∗ m = m2  Volume m ∗ m ∗ m = m3
D / m3 = kg m-3 V m / s = m s-1
Acc ( m / s ) / s = m / s2 = m s-2 F kg ∗ ( m / s2 ) = kg m s-2
E kg ∗ ( m / s2 ) ∗ m = kg m2 s-2

LOL... Ken did you brush your teeth with an encyclopedia before you wrote that... please tell me you copied and pasted... If not... I"M NOT WORTHY BRO>

recorder
Tascam DP-02

Tony W

Shamefully I own a Roland Cube 15W, an older model, and it doesn't sound like yours at all, to my ears. I also have a micrco-cube. The Cube stays at my cabin, the micro goes on camping trips or anywhere else that power isn't available.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR