downloading footage for a music video

Started by Kevin Mammoth, April 25, 2011, 07:09:23 AM

Kevin Mammoth

Hi all - something tells me this issue will have already been covered in a topic somewhere, but if it has I couldn't find it.

I'm thinking about putting together a music vid for a song and, not being particularly skilled with the video camera, I'm wondering if there are sites where free video footage can be downloaded (sort of in the same way sounds can be downloaded from freesound).  I have found sites with video footage for sale - but it can be pretty pricey and I'm wondering if there is an el cheapo alternative.  In this case I'm looking for desert footage  - shifting sand dunes etc  - any tips? 

Once I get some footage I plan to do the editing etc in imovie.

Thanks all - Kev

recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Oldrottenhead

i download stuff from youtube remove the sound and cut n paste videos then add my own soundtrack. i use a programme called freecorder to download the youtube videos, then a program called win avi to convert it into wmv format that my video editing software reognises.

the video footage isnt always copyrighted, tho that said i used the video from a residents song for one of my tunes as it was a perfect fit, but i was asked to remove it by the residents record label.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kevin Mammoth

Thanks ORH - yes using youtube footage has crossed my mind - there is some pretty cool DIY stuff posted there - but the copyright issue is always lurking. Some people wouldn't give a toss but, as your story shows, some others will. I was wondering if there were any sites where people uploaded footage and punters could use it any way they liked, so that copyright was never a problem...
recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Kevin Mammoth

Thanks 64G.

I have been looking into it a bit more - alas it seems there is no treasure trove of free killer footage, just waiting to be downloaded for your next music video.

The Internet Archive, which 64G referred to, is frequently cited -  it contains a whole lot of footage like movies, documentaries etc.  On my brief dabble it seemed pretty time consuming to search (to a new user like me anyway) - ie searching entire movies just to get that 30 seconds of something you are looking for - but there is no doubt there is a huge amount of footage there.  Also the terms of use don't guarantee the footage is out of copyright, if I understand them correctly.

There a quite a few sites which sell stock video, which are searchable by topic - this can include segments with effects, animation etc - quality and price varies dramatically.  Google "stock video" and your topic of interest and see how you go.

Of course there are plenty of people downloading online footage (eg youtube etc) without authority - it is probably the easiest thing to do as there is so much of it -  but it runs the risk of breaching of copyright and leading to a request to take down the video.

Cheerio - Kev
recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

another way is to make your own video, most modern digital cameras have good quality video for little cost.
regarding youtube you could always message the poster for permission to use footage, you never know they might say yes.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kevin Mammoth

cheers ORH, yes at the end of all this I was thinking the easiest way might be to just shoot my own footage!  And yes you're right about asking the owner on Youtube, some people would be happy for the exposure
recorder
Boss BR-1600