OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Quote from: Gritter on April 13, 2011, 01:17:23 PMGet some stickers made of your design and stick one on.

That is a Great Idea!

I think I will Gritts!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

64Guitars

Quote from: Gritter on April 13, 2011, 01:17:23 PMGet some stickers made of your design and stick one on.

Or print your own. Office supply stores carry self-adhesive labels for ink-jet and laser printers in many sizes, including full A4 sheets. Although, I'm not sure how well they'll stick to the rough surface of a guitar case. Or print your logo to regular paper (use a high-quality gloss paper though) and stick it to the guitar case with rubber cement or some other suitable adhesive that works well on rough surfaces.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

FuzzFace

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 13, 2011, 01:45:37 PM

Or print your own. Office supply stores carry self-adhesive labels for ink-jet and laser printers in many sizes, including full A4 sheets. Although, I'm not sure how well they'll stick to the rough surface of a guitar case. Or print your logo to regular paper (use a high-quality gloss paper though) and stick it to the guitar case with rubber cement or some other suitable adhesive that works well on rough surfaces.

.... or etch it with LASER VISION!

OsCKilO

The Oils have dried!!!

And it looks to be hard wearing as well!!

I was after something that would look faded...  And it is perfect now!
The paints are sitting in the grain of the case..

Perfect!

Oils on Guitar cases...  It works!

Thanks for the advice!!! 

I think I'll use some spray seal on it...  But it works a treat!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Cool !! Looking forward to have a closer look at it sometime (hopefully soon)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Bit late to this...

I would have said it could take up to a week to "dry", that's based on sticking it on prepared canvas... In my experience, the whites (or anything mixed with them) take the longest to dry.

Fully "dry" is 6 months or so - or longer if you can manage it. This is based on when it's safe to varnish a painting. The idea of varnish is to put a protective layer on that can be removed and replaced when you clean a painting. If you put it on too soon, the varnish takes up some of the pigment and then you'll lose some of the painting when you remove the varnish.

However, I'm not sure you need to worry about all this. It's not like it's a fine art painting that you want to sell for big bucks and the buyer wants to know that it'll still look as good in 20 years :D

If it's dry to touch, you're halfway there. The problem you might face is that the surface was unprepared, so the oil will continue to sink into the material. This will leave the pigment sat on the surface with less "glue" than was intended when the paint was mixed. The pigment is basically a powder, which will rub off if not held on well enough. Thinking about it though, as it's a protective cover for plywood etc on a guitar case, it's conceivable that the material might have been treated in a way that makes it a reasonable "prepared surface" for oils.

Because it's basically a luggage item, though, rather than something that will hang on the wall and never get bashed... the concept of "fixing" it with a new layer of some sort to protect it is a good idea. By theory, plastic layers (eg acrylic varnish sprays) won't adher over oil paints, but you might find they do.

You can get spray cans of varnish that will go over acrylic, oil, whatever. Find an art-shop and tell them what you've done - there'll be at least 3 or 4 cans of different stuff/makes that will work ok.

The three main dangers of "varnishing" too soon are:

a) The paint will come off when you remove the varnish (I'm guessing you're not planning on removing it!)

b) The colours might run if the skin on the oil paint hasn't hardened enough when you apply the varnish (if you use a spray and do very thin layers, letting each dry before the next, I think this is likely to be minimal with the thickness of paint you've used)

c) Layers on layers with oil paint can result in cracking as the "undried" oil underneath slowly hardens. However, it doesn't look like you've got it on that thick.

Anyway, looks cool T :)

I'm now expecting oil-paintings from you as well as music... (with probably much the same subject-matter as the ones I've been known to do :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1