Help!! Any oil painters out there?

Started by OsCKilO, April 13, 2011, 07:51:16 AM

OsCKilO

I have wanted to paint my guitar case for ages...

Did it today....

Found some paints in a draw and fired away...

Went to see if it was dry a few hours later....

Still wet... ???

Read the paint tubes and realized they were oil Paints!!!!!!!

The Net says they take 6 months to dry!!!

AHHHH!

Anyone got any tips for drying it out quicker?

Moral of the story.....  always read the Tube!!!!!!!! :-[

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Gnasty

I`ve been painting for years my friend. Reading the contents isn`t always true either. It doesn`t take a month to try. It takes a month to fully cure. 

I never painted my guitar case before but what you should use is an oil primer before you put whatever paint you want to use on there. You could also use a latex paint over the oil primer which makes it stick better. Like i said i haven`t done a guitar case but i now i might.

Hopefully it works out for you bro!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

FuzzFace

I just sent this question to  my art contact.
Looks like Gnasty gave you a good answer.

Nice design by the way!  Looks great!

Flash Harry

Wipe it off and get some emulsion from Geir.

Or steal some spray cans and do a Banksy
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

FuzzFace

The concensus with my art crew is that to put oil paint on a guitar case is, to put it nicely, a mistake.

It's possible you could ask the art store if they sell a sealant that could be applied over top.

StevieM

Yep, Sorry T, but's it's best to take it off and start again  :'(  Even when it dries it won't be all that hard wearing, and would probably chip and fall off ever so easily.

Doing little bits like that it'll more than likely be better to use good old Airfix paint------the Enamel type is best, not the Acrylic, although that would work it's not quite so hardwearing.

Nice design, and well painted, by the way.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

FuzzFace

Quote from: StevieM on April 13, 2011, 09:42:19 AMNice design, and well painted, by the way.

I agree... it's making me want to get a hard guitar case, so I can do some guitar case art!

OsCKilO

Thanks Guys.

It will be a bugger to wipe of because of the surface......And I can See where the Oil has seeped into the material/vaneer......

I might do what Trev says and get a sealent.

I wish I knew what Oil paints were all about before I did it (Heck....Wish I Knew they were oil paits!! LOL).  

Doh!

Got some acrylics now...  Gonna brave taking it off .... :-\
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

StevieM

Oh well, we all make mistakes, said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

OsCKilO

Quote from: StevieM on April 13, 2011, 12:12:25 PMOh well, we all make mistakes, said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin ;D

Daleks rule!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR