Playing Live, explained in 9 minutes....

Started by OsCKilO, April 05, 2011, 12:49:43 PM

OsCKilO

This is exactly what Live music has become...

Even in London.

The Most sense I have heard in a YouTube EVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtXw3UVSH8
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Gritter

what a let down...try that again. And always check your work (post).  ;)

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

AndyR

Moving stuff T.

I know a lot of what he's talking about... and for me the decision was that it's not worth it for me (the live stuff). It cost me too much for what it gave me in return. I can see how that's kind of sad for people who know me, or even the people that don't know what I can do live - except they're not missing me, they don't know about it, so who cares! :D

I found the "putting your entire life on hold" to prepare for that short time on stage, the only time you're truly "alive", to be extremely damaging to my mental health and therefore the way I interracted with people around me. I really miss the feeling I get from that short moment in the lights, but it just cost me too much.

It is like a drug though. I know if I dipped my toe in it again there would be "oh wow!" moments and I'd get sucked in again. I've recently found myself deliberately squashing any desire to go to singer's nights or whatever because of it.

HOWEVER!! It's not all doom and gloom here... over the last few years I've discovered that I can get huge satisfaction from creating stuff and posting it online. It's not quite the same as that feeling of freedom and communication and, I have to admit it, POWER over the emotions of others that I always experienced going on stage... but, with places like songcrafters, I do get a huge amount of affirmation and a sense of touching other people in some way. I know it's working because I'm writing and creating - that always dries up if I don't have a suitable outlet, and it's not drying up at the moment...

I think "the music industry" and how we all accepted it and fed it over the last 60-70 years has done some serious damage to "music" and a lot of people who have been involved or who dreamt of being involved. It's not the fault of the "business" people, they were just doing their jobs, they saw an opportunity to make a living and used it - how can we blame them? It's all of us and how we hungered for "it" and fed the monster.

There's something very interesting going on in music now. The "industry", as it has been, is disappearing, and there's folks like us sharing our sh1t online, and encouraging each other to do it, and we're even encouraging each other to go out and do it live. I rarely go outside the door except to go to work, but I'm getting the impression that there's a slight rebirth in live music - not "let's get some gigs and get signed" music, but "hey, let's start playing to each other again and listening to each other" music...

In that vid he says how the musicians he knows don't even listen to the radio. Funnily enough, I stopped listening to music radio something like 20 years ago. People talking to me couldn't believe that the songwriting front-man of a pop-rock band listened to Radio 4 exclusively, and nothing else... And then recently I noticed I've even stopped buying music - I got a bunch of money for my birthday, and I made several attempts to get some CDs... I just couldn't do it, I ended up buying books and some Clint Eastwood DVDs instead. And then I realised why - the stuff I hear on here, and on alonetone, etc, is satisfying my desire for listening to new music... the stuff that we amateurs, we types excluded from the "industry", are making is good enough to stop us partaking of the industry-approved stuff completely!

Crazy stuff :D

Anyway, thanks for posting this :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SE

Great post Tharrek, well worth nine minutes of my time.
recorder
Boss BR-80

T.C. Elliott

I shared this on FB and another musician friend shared it as well.. i think it's struck a nerve. Thanks for sharing.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Flash Harry

@Andy R - You are spot on. Playing music to each other is what counts. I would like to see the day where people are paid for playing their music and the recorded stuff is the advert for the live stuff. That way non-musicians won't be able to take the lions share of the profits. In any other walk of life, this sort of exploitation would be illegal.

I'm sorry that you don't play live, I do occasionally and I love the excitement of it all.

Good find Mr T.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.