Main Menu

drum mics

Started by ThumpThump, March 31, 2011, 05:52:38 PM

ThumpThump

I'm looking into a Digital Reference DRDK7 7-Piece Drum Microphone Kit and I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before. Basically can anyone tell me if they are any good or if i should look into something different at the same price?

launched

If you are looking for a value set of drum mics, I don't believe that it makes much difference between the particular $200 kit you can choose from. I have a CAD 7 piece kit that works fine - The condensers are a little sensitive, but provide a nice room sound that blends in well with the mix. I'm also very happy with the drum clips that came with what I have.

Another consideration is your ability to mix all 7 mikes. Maybe I'm just not that clever, but I gave up and just used a snare, kick and two overheads eventually. Plus, you will need an 8 channel mixer to combine it all.

So I think you will get the same level of satisfaction no matter what you pick at that price level.

Another option to consider is just buying an SM57 for the snare, a good kick mic and a couple cheap overhead condensers. It won't cost you that much more, you'll get a great sound with some practice and you have a great base to upgrade with if you want more later.

Peace,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

ThumpThump

Thanks for the info I'll let you know what I end up with and how I like it. I have the 8 ch mixer and I have a buddy I may buy a big mixer from also. I heard a guy running his drums to one mixer that ran down into a chanel on his mixer connected to his pc and it sounded great. I must be the luckiest man alive my wife is takeing me to guitar center for her birthday!

launched

Good luck! Hope you get what she (you!) wants! ;D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

ThumpThump

Thanks man it was a bit of a battle but I ended up ordering the DR 7 set, should be here in a couple days. I also got a DR vocal mic (couldn't pass up 70% off) that I thought sounded better than the cheap ones my friends have. I didn't even have to tweak the eq much. She said it was just the same time they had the sale but I'm hopeing she will start playing her drums after I get them miced lol.