waste of money

Started by colin, November 30, 2008, 02:42:53 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: colin on November 30, 2008, 02:42:53 PMwaste of money

Somebody should use this as the title and inspiration for a parody of The Beatles' "A Taste of Honey".  :D

Not about the BR, of course. But I'm sure the talented songwriters here can think of something more suitable to jest about in "A Waste of Money".

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

As you can see, there are a lot of very dedicated MicroBr users on this site.  Words like "enhanced my life" are being used for such a small piece of gear.  I bought one and it sat virtually unused for almost 8 months.  I wasn't untill I stumbled here and saw (heard) the potential of this little box that I started using it.  And yes, it has enhanced my life also.  You get out of it what you want to put into it.  As far as a small, portable recording device that will generate an MP3, this is about as good as you can get.  The quality of music you can make with just this device (and a little alchohol for the nerves) alone is stunning.  Just check out some of the stuff posted here, most made with just the MicroBR.  I certainly love mine.  One of the best gear purchases I have made in a long time.  Just get one song done all the way to a MP3 and you will learn a lot, the second one is so much easier.  It is all fun from there on.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 01, 2008, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: colin on November 30, 2008, 02:42:53 PMwaste of money

Somebody should use this as the title and inspiration for a parody of The Beatles' "A Taste of Honey".  :D

Not about the BR, of course. But I'm sure the talented songwriters here can think of something more suitable to jest about in "A Waste of Money".

Darn! Looks like my idea is 40 years too late. See the following thread I started where you can post ideas for other parodies:

http://microrecorders.org/community/general-discussion-b8/parodies/0/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

madmal

Colin just stick with it. There is a whole lot more user input required than the 4 track cassette, which for me took a while to get the hang of. Im still a learner as far as using my BR and Im learning all the time. Yes it does frustrate me at times too and for the first few weeks I seem to have spent more time reading the manual and arsing around with it than using its but it will all come together and you will be stoked with the results.
I never know what to put here

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI lost my bloody IPod! 
the missus better get me a zen x-fi for ma crimbo ur she is deid meat.
re ipods widnea gee them space, lotta shite in my honest opinion a no a could a went imho bit thats too complicated for some peolpe
 lmfaoafoms (laff my fucking arse off and fall of ma seat\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\)
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

KYbluecats

I have no regrets in buying my Micro BR either.  The basics aren't too bad really, but sure there is a learning curve for some of the features.  The manual is somewhat limited but there are a lot of good tutorial vids out on the net.  YouTube has a few good vids.  I have learned several tricks off of there that are not even listed in the manual.

Good luck!

Bro

Nope NOT a waste of money!
When i first got it i was really in to using it.
Then there was a long period where it was kind of flat..
BUT! now i am heavy (and I'm talking Heavy!) in to using this little thing!
Kind of just realized the thousands of opportunities with it!!
But no, not a waste of money! By far not!!!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Dmann

For me this is the best $200.00-ish i've spent on any music gear in years. The ability to instantly record the idea I have at any given moment before it fades makes it even more priceless. The recordings will never degrade either, and just using a couple emory cards I will never need to worry about running out of recording space.

I really recommend for new users to write a trial and error song that includes trying out all the different functions of this awesome little machine before deciding it's a toss away. Things like copy and paste, auto punch, recording dry and applying effects after the fact, arranging drum patterns, re-configuring kits to have the drum sound you want, and so much more.

In addition, the ability to transfer to/from your PC an manipulate your recordings with any available software only adds to it making the need for expensive computer audio cards completely redundant saving you more money.

The added MP3 trainer makes learning new songs so easy because you can slow down the playback while keeping pitch, set up an A-B loop and practice sections over and over until you can do it in your sleep.

You can do so much, once you understand how to use it, and once you go digital there is no going back because you cannot beat the quality and simplicity + it being so portable.

Just a quick example, I recently wrote a backing track in which I wanted to use to warm up to prior to jams or gig's. It took me a whole 15 minutes from start to finish, and sounds like I spent hours on it, and I will spend many hours on it. People see me wearing headphones and shredding out back stage while walking around with MBR in my belt pouch, and so far every single person I've shown this thing to is sold on buying thier own.

To me this device is invaluable, If it was ever lost, stolen or broken I'd replace it in a heartbeat without a moments hesitation.

Oldrottenhead

i bought a 100 mothballs from poundland. now that was a waste of money, never hit a single moth but i smashed a couple of lightbulbs
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann