waste of money

Started by colin, November 30, 2008, 02:42:53 PM

Hello Everyone, I don't think that i have posted this in the right place but here goes. I had a small 4 track recorder with cassette with which i had loads of fun. this year i treated myself to a boss micro br, and now i wish that i had never bothered. it is SO bloody complicated to use, iv'e tried many times but feel like throwing the thing in the bin.an absolute waste of money, i'm going back to the old 4 track cassette, at least i could use it.

64Guitars

Quote from: colin on November 30, 2008, 02:42:53 PMHello Everyone, I don't think that i have posted this in the right place but here goes. I had a small 4 track recorder with cassette with which i had loads of fun. this year i treated myself to a boss micro br, and now i wish that i had never bothered. it is SO bloody complicated to use, iv'e tried many times but feel like throwing the thing in the bin.an absolute waste of money, i'm going back to the old 4 track cassette, at least i could use it.

The Micro BR has a lot more features and capabilities than a 4-track cassette recorder. Some time and effort is required to learn them but, once you do, it's very easy to operate.

If you're not willing to put in the time and effort, you might be better off with the new Tascam DP-004. It lacks some of the BR's features but should be much simpler to operate -- similar to a 4-track cassette recorder.

But, if you're willing to be patient and make an effort to learn your Micro BR, I'm sure you'll be glad that you did. If you have trouble understanding anything, there are lots of people here who can help you. Just post some specific questions.

Also, be sure to watch Admin's videos. They will help a lot.

Hang in there. It will be worth it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

stay with it mate, once you start using it , it becomes very intuitive to use and takes over your life completely, it is much harder to use than the old portastudios, but think back you had to learn to use that too, i remember getting my fostex multitracker out of the box , opening the manual and saying sheet
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

I have never regretted buying mine. It is such a good piece of kit it goes everywhere with me.

AS ORH says, stick with it, you'll get the hang of it and then you won't be able to put it down.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

It scared the sh*t out of me for a week, but after two or three songs using the tutorials from this forum, I was flying solo. It's a fantastic piece of kit that has (I kid you not...) enhanced my life.

It's one of those things where you need to put the work in to get the best out of it. At first it seems very un-intuitive, but it becomes second nature quite quickly.

Stick with it. You won't regret it  :)

beleg

colin,
       Stick with it,  watch a couple of the youTube videos and spend an afternoon recording a cover song, or something you have already recorded on another medium. Trust us, once you get the hang of this thing, it is going to be your constant companion. I carry this thing more then I carry my Ipod.

Flash Harry

Quote from: beleg on December 01, 2008, 08:02:10 AMI carry this thing more then I carry my Ipod.

I lost my bloody IPod!   :'(
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

my mp3 player busted 3 weeks ago... and xmas seems so far away  :'(

steveblues50

gee don't think any cassette recorder can hold a candle to microbr.great sound no hiss.just be a little patient,start with videos.it is very intuitive.if you have vtrack issues like a lot of us do (did) read 64guitars stuff.lots of good inf at boss site also.

holdempok

the videos are a must see! Watch the instructional videos before you make the final decesion. It's really amazing the music you can create with this. Don't give up brother. People will help you here too.
Why don't we do it on the road?