C.d's

Started by cazza, March 29, 2011, 09:03:19 PM

cazza

Is it best when you are sending out c.ds to get gigs to send out raw live stuff or tracks you have tweeked?

Greeny

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the venue / booker would prefer to hear how you sound live. After all, there's plenty of studio / software tweaking that can disguise weak performers. I'd be much happier playing somewhere where their expectations were realistic about how I sound!

Flash Harry

Good question.

My feeling on this is to record a demo which gives a flavour of your set. Record it and mix it well because most people are exposed only to the polished finished product.
Live recordings are seldom of the quality that people expect cds to be.

Four tracks would be ok. You should be able to do that in a day with a modest outlay.

Or you can do it yourself with a BR.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

OsCKilO

I say send out the Live stuff.. But it depends on where you are....

But the best thing to do is get friendly with people on the local music scene. That will get you gigs better than CD's will.

If I book people for a paid gig, it will usually be because I have seen them live at an open mic somewhere.
Or "Live" on you tube...

And if you record a live set through the mixing desk, it will sound good enough to send out for your live demo....

This is how one guitar and one mic sounds recorded through the desk.... http://osckilo.bandcamp.com/track/crown-of-dust-live-at-the-hobgoblin-islington

Make sure your drums are mic'ed up if you want to record through the desk but this might be hard in small venues.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

T.C. Elliott

Whichever sounds better. We do mostly the recorded versions cuz our room recordings sound like ass.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ferryman

I agree with TC, whatever sounds best. You need to sound good. Remember these guys will be getting loads of stuff to listen to, so if it doesn't sound very good, it will get ignored. When I was getting gigs for my band in the 1980s, the best thing we did was to get a video done. It was a professional job, and it marked out us out from all the other bands that were tryin to get gigs. That secured us some good gigs at London venues.

But at the end of the day there is only one thing venues care about - how many people can you bring with you? If you have any evidence that you could cause a reasonable number of people to turn up to see you, they will be interested in booking you. So you need to let them know that.

Of course if you are doing open mics as a solo artist, that is a bit different - they will be more interested in the quality/style of material. So back to the original advice - the very best sounding recordings you have.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteOr "Live" on you tube...
my mate stix does a lot of gigging in pubs (though mainly covers and not his own original material) and gives the managers at pubs and venues he hasn't played the link to his youtube performances and gets a lot of work that way.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

Quote from: Ferryman on March 31, 2011, 02:13:07 AMthe best thing we did was to get a video done.

Post the Video Nigel!!!!!!!!

Please!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Flash Harry

Quote from: OsCKilO on March 31, 2011, 03:45:50 AM
Quote from: Ferryman on March 31, 2011, 02:13:07 AMthe best thing we did was to get a video done.

Post the Video Nigel!!!!!!!!

Please!!!!!!!!

Ooh you're a boy ain'tcha?

What a great idea!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Quote from: OsCKilO on March 31, 2011, 03:45:50 AMPost the Video Nigel!!!!!!!!

Please!!!!!!!!

I'll have to get off my a**e and get it converted from VHS. It's actually quite good, the guy who did it was starting out as a video producer and it was professionally edited. Good laugh, and VERY 80s.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR