Bass & Guitar Amp?

Started by FuzzFace, March 23, 2011, 03:24:52 PM

Satchwood

Yes, the keyboard amp works for me as well when i visit with my son.  We play guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums through it just like a PA... sounds great too!  For some reason i can't recall the brand of it right now....
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Ferryman

So the simple answer is no, but you can use a keyboard or "PA" amp (ones that are designed to take vocals and instruments) provided you either play clean or acoustic guitar. If you want distorted guitar sounds then you will need an effects pedal to provide the distortion digitally.

But these amps are only really useful for practising IMO, because unless you have dedicated bass and guitar amps, you will be compromising the sound of both instruments. Keyboard and PA amps can't handle the bottom end needed for a good bass sound IMO and don't have the tone circuits for it.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: Ferryman on March 27, 2011, 03:28:09 AMSo the simple answer is no, but you can use a keyboard or "PA" amp (ones that are designed to take vocals and instruments) provided you either play clean or acoustic guitar. If you want distorted guitar sounds then you will need an effects pedal to provide the distortion digitally.

But these amps are only really useful for practising IMO, because unless you have dedicated bass and guitar amps, you will be compromising the sound of both instruments. Keyboard and PA amps can't handle the bottom end needed for a good bass sound IMO and don't have the tone circuits for it.

Cheers,

Nigel
Nigel steps in with excellent information......for home use the keyboard amp is going to sound fantastic, but for live band use, as Nigel says, probably wont cut it, especially for the bass guitar.  Interesting, is there such a thing, a holy grail of amplification that can be used for E-guitar, bass, acoustic and voice......a mixer into a PA, with effects/amp simulation pedals in front (like a Pod X3 live pedal or something like that), is that the real answer here.......we need a unified field theory for this.........

QuotePerform live using POD X3 Dual Tone processing to turn your POD X3 Live into both a vocal processor/preamp and a guitar amp modeler/effector, and simply send a single stereo pair to the house as you sing and play your sensitive heart out! While you're at it, why not a route a drum machine or sampler to the Auxiliary input for a little backing beat?
Maybe one of these POD devices is all you need, and you plug everything into it and then send it to the house PA.....done.

QuoteWhat instruments can I use POD X3 with?
POD X3 has amp, preamp and effect models that are ideal for electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass and vocals. However, you can use POD X3 with keyboards or even mic up other acoustic instruments using a microphone via the new XLR input.

Can I use the guitar and XLR inputs at the same time?
Yes. POD X3 allows you to use two inputs simultaneously. You can even have completely independent processing on each input.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Quote from: Bluesberry on March 27, 2011, 06:28:36 AMInteresting, is there such a thing, a holy grail of amplification that can be used for E-guitar, bass, acoustic and voice......a mixer into a PA, with effects/amp simulation pedals in front (like a Pod X3 live pedal or something like that), is that the real answer here.......we need a unified field theory for this.........

Interesting. The answer is possibly, because you can definitely get quite a good end result feeding a guitar or bass direct into a PA (with digital effects pedals up front if required). I've done a couple of things recently (work related) where I played my guitar through the Zoom pedal into a DI box and through a PA and they sounded fine. And for many sessions I did in "real" studios the bass was often DI'd straight into the desk, especially if it was a good quality bass. So it can be done, but two "buts" - you need a good quality PA, and monitoring is an issue if you are playing live. There's no substitute for standing in front of a big bass amp to feel the air moving if you are a bassist. You don't get that when listening through foldback monitors or even worse in ear monitors.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

I think a small PA is the solution, and some monitors of course .... and maybe a bass-amp as a monitor for the bassist ... and a small guitaramp .... and ... well ...

what was the question ? ??? ;D

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 25, 2011, 06:28:56 AMI think that I should confiscate the VOX from Geir, he clearly isn't responsible enough to own one.
ha !!! You're too late .... sold it years ago to go digital, ....... so I could go directly into the PA .... ;D ... and then ... never did ::) .... .... .. hmmmm ... I did actually .. . for the last gig I had with rabalder (couple of songs posted here earlier)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

Quote from: Ferryman on March 28, 2011, 01:26:52 AMThere's no substitute for standing in front of a big bass amp to feel the air moving if you are a bassist.

The trouble I find is that if you can feel your trousers flapping, you can't hear what you are playing!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 28, 2011, 06:25:14 AM
Quote from: Ferryman on March 28, 2011, 01:26:52 AMThere's no substitute for standing in front of a big bass amp to feel the air moving if you are a bassist.

The trouble I find is that if you can feel your trousers flapping, you can't hear what you are playing!
that ain't your trousers flapping Mike ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 28, 2011, 06:25:14 AMThe trouble I find is that if you can feel your trousers flapping, you can't hear what you are playing!

You mean bass players actually want to hear what they are playing? Hmmmm, let me try to get my head round that one. I thought our primary goal was to make the audience have involuntary bowel movements......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pete C

I've got a 1960's Selmer Treble n Bass head and speaker cabinet. You can play bass through the bass channel input and guitar through the treble channel. When we bought it for my first band in 1979 both me and the bass player used to play through it at the same time. Sounded awful but was a nice sounding amp for a guitar or bass on its own. Sadly its retired now as it needs re-valving and a good overhaul.
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800