Bass & Guitar Amp?

Started by FuzzFace, March 23, 2011, 03:24:52 PM

FuzzFace

Is there such a thing as an amp that can be used as both a bass and a guitar amp?

I mean alternatively, not simultaneously.  Although that could be cool too.

Blooby

cuthbert

I used to use a Fender Princeton amp for guitar and bass...sometimes at the same time!  ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

I used a Vox AC50 bass-top as a guitar-amp for many years
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

launched

I saw a combo in a magazine that had inputs for vocals, guitar and/or bass. Can't remember the name but it could have been a Carvin. So I know something is out there. Keep looking with all the spare time that you have.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

Found it:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/acousticseries.php

It's called the acoustic series, but I'm confident that you could use an electric guitar as well.

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Flash Harry

Speakers in guitar amps are manufatured in such a way that the voice coil travels outside of the magnet when it's cranked up. This introduces distortion into the sound produced and gives that nice crunchy dirty sound that guitarists love.
Speakers in bass amps are not made this way, and they are constructed to have lots of travel with the voice coil remaining within the poles of the magnet. This gives the punch that bassists love and lets them turn it up to 11 and still remain clean and punchy. (I like that very much!)
'Acoustic' amps tend to use the bass amp style speakers with a broader frequency range, but a decent bass amp will do nicely for an acoustic guitar with a piezo pickup or a soundhole pickup.

Bass guitars tend to destroy guitar amps, because the temptation to turn them up is too strong to resist. Broken speakers or blown output stages are not uncommon.

I think that I should confiscate the VOX from Geir, he clearly isn't responsible enough to own one.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bluesberry

You could also think about getting a nice Keyboard amp, then you plug your guitar and bass into a pedal that has amp simulation and effects, like the ME-70.  The keyborad amp is designed to be very clear and full range, almost like plugging into a PA system.  Whatever you drive into it via guitar effects/amp simulation pedal will come out the amp in very good clarity and detail.  It would also be good for running an acoustic guitar in, or mic in for singing.  Something like this Traynor beauty here.....http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/344/Keyboards/Amps/Yorkville_Sound/K1_120_Watt_Keyboard_Amp.htm

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Yep, good call BB, I was shaping up to make "keyboard amp" type comments as well.

But for best comment in the thread so far, the prize goes to Harry:

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 25, 2011, 06:28:56 AMI think that I should confiscate the VOX from Geir, he clearly isn't responsible enough to own one.

That cracked me up :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on