Firefox 4 now available

Started by 64Guitars, March 23, 2011, 12:42:58 PM

64Guitars

Yes, Firefox 4 is definitely much faster than its predecessors. See this page:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/performance/

One of the new features that I like is the App tabs. Just right-click on your Songcrafters tab, for example, and select "Pin as App Tab". That moves the tab over to the left and makes it smaller (just the favicon shows). The Songcrafters app tab will always be available from now on, even after you restart the browser. You can go straight to the Songcrafters app tab and click reload to see the latest posts. Very handy.

I also like that you can get rid off the Menu Bar and Bookmarks toolbar to make more room available for the web page, without losing the menu and bookmarks functionality. If you currently have a menu bar in Firefox 4 (File, Edit, View, History, etc), right-click on it and un-check "Menu Bar" by clicking it. The entire row disappears and you get a "Firefox" dropdown menu instead. Everything's still there. It's just a different way of accessing it. Likewise, if you currently have a Bookmarks toolbar in Firefox 4, pull down the Firefox menu and go to Preferences. Then un-check the "Bookmarks Toolbar" item by clicking it. The entire row disappears. Instead, you get a "Bookmarks" dropdown menu at the right of the screen.

Then there's Panorama, the Tab Groups feature. This makes it really easy to organise your currently-open tabs. I'm not sure how often I'll use it because I don't usually have that many tabs open at the same time. But it sure is a cool feature and a lot of fun to play with. I read that they're planning to use the same idea for bookmarks in a future version of Firefox. Now that would be really cool and I would use it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0TQJ-gGi0

The following page shows you how to use these new features, especially under "Meet Your Browser":

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/central/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 23, 2011, 02:49:55 PMYes, Firefox 4 is definitely much faster than its predecessors.

Veddy interesting.

Guess I didn't notice the speed increase because I do most of my Songcrafters viewing on Safari - on my Mac, Safari & Firefox 4 are both very speedy. I didn't use Firefox 3.x on my Mac much - it had more problems than just speed.

Looking forward now to trying Firefox 4 on Windows.   :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

its slowed right down now bugger
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gnasty

Just downloaded it...Gonna have to get used to it but looks great!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Tony W

After further review, I am going to confirm that FF 4 is faster, much faster.

There is some fantastic functionality too. I'm pretty impressed with it. In a few weeks, I may even deploy it company wide, and see if people will make the switch.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Quote from: henwrench on March 23, 2011, 02:07:44 PMAfter doing a wee bit of classic 'surfing', there ain't no doubt in my mind that this thing is way faster. Woo-hoo...

henwrench
Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 23, 2011, 02:12:27 PMclassic surfing is that a euphenism for art  ;) ;)

Well... if it speeds classic surfing up... I might give it a go :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

OK... I am now, at this very moment, using Firefox...

And this site does look a lot better!! (All the stuff up the top is always a bit of a jumble in IE)

And it does seem to load pages on this site a touch quicker.

However, it doesn't seem to have imported all my Favourites and cookies and other sh1t like it said it was doing - eg I had to fiddle around to discover how to log in to this again...

So I've got quite a bit of work to do to get access to all my other usual haunts via this browser :(
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1