Boss ME-70 vs Boss ME-50

Started by FuzzFace, March 22, 2011, 03:32:48 PM

FuzzFace

The sales guy told me that the Boss ME-50 is okay for home recording, but if you are playing loud in a band, the quality of the effects don't hold.  Therefore he recommends the Boss ME-70 for jamming/performing.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Migs

I think I have read once that the ME-70 is better for gigging than the ME-50.  I just can't see how for 2 reasons.  The electronics are the same.  The qualty of sound output doesn't drop just because you run it through a bigger amp and play loud.  I assumed it was just sales talk.  Having said that I have not personally a/b tested them.

I got the ME-50 because it is in runoff and was significantly cheaper than the ME-70.  The looper would be nice but hey, I would prefer a separate box for that.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Migs

Apparently I lied.  The 70 has a new chip.

This is a useful review ... especially for the comments.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Boss_ME_70_Review.aspx

Tony W

The 70 apparently does amp modeling which I personally would find to be a huge plus, but a curse at the same time. When your availability of tonal possibilities increase, so does the amount of time searching for the right tone.

As far as gigging, I'd tend to agree with Migs that it sounds like sales talk. I didn't know you gigged?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

Quote from: Tony W on March 23, 2011, 08:11:42 AMI didn't know you gigged?

I just started taking singing lessons and doing open mic night every Tuesday.
I have been putting out feelers to maybe start a band.

Migs

What is the price difference where you are by the way ?  And are you looking new or 2nd hand?  I reckon 2nd hand is a pretty safe bet too ... they are very robust little boxes.

Bluesberry

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on March 23, 2011, 10:40:41 AM
Quote from: Tony W on March 23, 2011, 08:11:42 AMI didn't know you gigged?

I just started taking singing lessons and doing open mic night every Tuesday.
I have been putting out feelers to maybe start a band.

Awesome Trevor, good for you man......

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kevin Mammoth

Hey ZMFF - here's my 10 cents...

I have an ME50 - I used it for jamming for a while, through a 40W Fender Hot Rod combo (not mine), and was very happy with the tones and wide range of effects - clean or distorted.  But it had one "feature" I didn't like - there would be a slight gap (ie silence) when switching between clean and distorted tones/effects.  I don't know if it was just a glitch in my unit, but it might be something to check out.

Since descending into the murky world of DIY home recording, I have mainly used the ME50 as a wah pedal - as much as I want it to, I just can't usually get distorted tones that work with my BR1600 - I usually twiddle knobs on the ME50 for a long time, and then go back to tweaking presets on the 1600.  No wonder I post so few songs...

Hope this helps in some way, good luck with the singing lessons and open mics - and yeah, start a band and change the direction of music history, go for it!!!

Cheerio - Kev
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Migs

Quote from: Kevin Mammoth on March 24, 2011, 05:10:14 AMBut it had one "feature" I didn't like - there would be a slight gap (ie silence) when switching between clean and distorted tones/effects.  I don't know if it was just a glitch in my unit, but it might be something to check out.

This is true.  Not a glitch.  The biggest problem with the ME 50.  I think it was fixed on the 70.