Test Yourself!!

Started by henwrench, March 21, 2011, 04:04:45 AM

64Guitars

This one's more like the first one that henwrench posted. You have to decide whether the two phrases are the same or different. There are two parts to the test with 30 phrases in each. In the second part, they introduce timing differences as well as pitch differences.

http://www.delosis.com/listening/home.html

Here's my score:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

speaking of melody memorization......this is a cool experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6tB2KiZuk

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

I'm actually surprised that I scored a 75% on the first test posted. I expected far worse.

on the rather lengthy one 64 posted last, I got 25/30 in both categories. Again I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought I would be worse.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Wow, the Bobby McFerrin thing was amazing!!

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

I got 25 out of 26 on the one 64 posted 1st....
Henwrench the one you posted I only got something like 66% or so....I don't exactly remember.
I've yet got to try the other one 64 posted.....

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

cuthbert

Here's my score on the Delosis test:

Might have done a bit better on that second test (that's the tough one) if the kids weren't playing outside near my house.  ;)

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

AndyR

Interesting...

The first (musicandbrain) test I found the hardest. I got 75%. All the ones I got wrong were when I said that a "Same" pair was "Different".

The distorted tunes test I got 25/26. I thought this test was a bit strange if you don't know the tunes already: some of them were obviously tuneless, but others could have been right even if they were wrong!

The long delosis test I found the easiest to take (except you have to concentrate for longer). I got 25/30 for part one (it should have been 26 but I clicked the wrong button and I couldn't see any way to change my answer...), and 27/30 for part two. After 64 had said rhythm was involved in part two I was expecting to do a lot worse on it, but I seem to have done it better than part one!  ::)

I think I found the delosis test easier than the musicandbrain test because it had more memorable and melodic phrases. The musicandbrain test I found the phrases to be somewhat random and "unmelodic". Also, the harmony in the first test caused me problems, I marked some of them different because I thought he'd changed the underlying harmony... (Obviously not!)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1