Crack in guitar neck

Started by Facemask93, March 20, 2011, 07:55:02 AM

Facemask93

Anyone know anything about guitar necks with cracks in them , ive got the chance to buy a £1400 guitar that has crack near the headstock , for a very low price , under £200 , its still playable , but it could get worse , ive looked on youtube & its looks a relatively straight forward job to do , but do i take the chance

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

StevieM

What guitar? Got any pics of the crack, I might have a couple of ideas.
I'd say go for it, probably, even if you have to get a new neck at some stage?
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Blooby

I had a Hamer Sunburst for years that had a repaired headstock (image attached), and the action and playability was flawless.  The only reason I got rid of it was because I had another guitar that was too similar (my first electric given to me by my parents), and I couldn't part with the latter.

I also have an acoustic whose bridge was repaired.  Again, it's fine...better than fine.

I guess it depends on the severity of the crack.

Good luck.

Blooby

Facemask93

Its a    Godin xtSA 3-voice guitar

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

Blooby

Quote from: facemask93 on March 20, 2011, 08:20:24 AMIts a    Godin xtSA 3-voice guitar

Don't they have some sort of ridiculously strong graphite neck?

64Guitars

Sounds like a great bargain. My only concern would be that it might affect synth tracking. Neck stability is an important factor in tracking. That's why the Roland G-707 had a stabiliser bar on the neck.

I'd phone a few local luthiers and ask them what it might cost to repair, and whether the repair would affect tracking or not. You might also try contacting Godin and asking about the effect on tracking, if any. The only contact info I could find on their website is info@godinguitars.com.

At that price though, you might want to get the guitar anyway. I have an xtSA and it's a great guitar. Even if you repaired it yourself and just used it as a regular guitar (ie; disregarding synth access), it's worth it. The built-in piezos allow for a pretty good acoustic sound which can be mixed with the humbuckers and middle single-coil for a wide variety of tones. My xtSA is the best guitar I've ever owned. I like it much better than my Gibson and my Ibanez. And I'm sure the synth access will work reasonably well. It just might not work quite as good as it should. But again, ask around. It might be that the effect on tracking will be almost undetectable.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on March 20, 2011, 08:23:46 AM
Quote from: facemask93 on March 20, 2011, 08:20:24 AMIts a    Godin xtSA 3-voice guitar

Don't they have some sort of ridiculously strong graphite neck?

Nope. It's a mahogany neck with an ebony fingerboard.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Facemask93

Bids went up to £400 , outbid at the last minute , oh well

Rob

PS thanks for the advice guys

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

StevieM

Oh well, that's life--it happens :(
PM still holds good for maybe in the future at any time, Rob. :)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper