3 old songs, before DSS was born

Started by dasilvasings, March 18, 2011, 08:12:37 AM

dasilvasings

Tensão Flauta Contrabaixo e Violoncelo
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Dear all,

I decided to put 3 old songs to thank you for the recent bumps (and to answer a lost comment from Cuthbert about Satie) - I'm lacking inspiration and time to make new music, and even to listen to new music. I'm quite busy with a new work and when I get home, my daughter is becoming more and more demanding in terms of time - I don't really mind ;-). But I don't want to be completely idle with my music and this forum, so...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Much before the birth of DaSilvaSings, when I was in my early twenties, I started studying classical double-bass at the conservatory. While other double-bassist were about my age, my music theory lessons were my weekly hour of humiliation, since my (much) younger colleagues were so much better than me with their ears, muti-tasking, etc. My sole revenge was music theory, and since I was starting to use computers for music, in those times I wrote 3 songs in midi (score).

The first, "Tensão Flauta, Contrabaixo e Violoncelo" (no need for translation, I guess...) was written to the most noblest of intents: I was after a girl! The song was meant to be a "musical joke", since the song develops tension only to finalizes in the easiest C Major. My objective was to have an excuse for extra reharsal with the beautiful celloist. To mitigate risks, there was a flute part for the lovely flutist too!

God mustn't exist, since after all these efforts and tribulations, all I got was a weird song written in midi... So I decided to add a percussion part later, just for me and my music.

Years later, at a dinner in a friend's place we manage to play this live, with an amazing celloist (she is now a professional), and a friend of mine in the violin (replacing the flute). There was no percussion, but that didn't made any difference. Our celloist was such a good player that suddenly this song became a cello solo from the beginning to the end! I was scared shitless as a composer. Very happy that the musicians had taken the song beyond, but terrified that I never thought that could be possible! Unfortunately, it wasn't recorded. What you will hear, is the original midi file.

So.... Nevermind the bollocks, this is NOT DaSilvaSings,

Time:
Volume:

In 2000, my first nephew was born. He was the first of the new generation, and we were very excited. Since I was singing in a choir at the time, I decided to write him a Magnificat! Well... A couple of issues to note:

1. It is the shortest Magnificat in history, with less than 1'30''
2. Lyrics were easy! Someone wrote them for me (magnificat anima mea... blah blah)... Or not... I wrote the melodies without much thinking and then I simply couldn't make the words fit. NO worries - it became the first instrumental Magnificat!
3. It was written for SATB, but soon realized the individual lines where impossible to sing by humans. So I added a double-bass (for pedals) and simply selected a piano voice for the rest.
4. Last but not least! The choir I was in was singing Séc. XVI Portuguese Poliphony (very straight harmonically and ordered religious music) and Fernando Lopes Graça, a communist composer from the 60's-70's, IMHO a master of "sharpened & flattened" melodies, and in the end, my supposedly joyful Magnificat sounds a bit gloomy... no worries - first gloomy Magnificat in the world!

Time:
Volume:

Last but not least, this is a song I wrote when I started to learn the piano. The songs I had to play were quite boring, and I thought I could do better! I tried (to no avail) to learn Satie's Gimnopedie. Because it was awfully difficult for me, I decided to take my revenge and write my own Gimno-Sportive!
I'm quite proud of this song, but unfortunately i can't play it! Hopefully I'll give this to a  friend of mine and ask her to play for me. Until then....

Time:
Volume:

END OF POST - AUTOMATIC PLAYERS BELOW JUST REPEAT SONGS ABOVE

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Quote from: dasilvasings on March 18, 2011, 08:12:37 AMGodverdoeme! can someone move this to the Originals? Oh! Is there a way to delete the last 3 automatically generated players

Hi Miguel,

I moved the post to the Originals thread, but I don't believe there's a way to remove those last three players without deleting the attachments you uploaded, as they are automatically generated when you attach an mp3 file. If the attachments are deleted, then the singlemp3 players won't be referencing any file.

I can see why you wanted control over the positioning of the players, but generally the singlemp3 tags are for linking to mp3 files hosted on external servers. But as you can see, they also work if you reference attached mp3 files.

There are a couple ways I see of addressing this:
  • Upload the mp3 files to an external site, and then update the urls in the singlemp3 tags
  • Create three new posts, with one song attached per post, where the player will reside at the bottom of the post (default attached mp3 behavior)

Or leave it as is - I think that's a valid option.

64Guitars may have a better solution that I'm not aware of at this time, so you may want to wait to see what he has to say on it.

Oh, and I intend to listen after I get into to the office.  :)

cheers,
cuthbert
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Redler

That's totally different stuff on this site! I loved all these. Short pieces of classical solo music. The most I loved the cello song and the last one is very relaxing - reminds a bit about Philip Glass, a fav of mine. Brilliant minimalistic stuff. Great post DSS!!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on March 18, 2011, 09:20:59 AM64Guitars may have a better solution that I'm not aware of at this time, so you may want to wait to see what he has to say on it.

Nope. Your suggestions are the best way. I tried to edit the database directly to insert a new message after the first message, but it proved to be more complicated than I thought and I didn't want to risk messing up the database so I abandoned the idea. DSS should either move the attachments to separate messages or move them to an external site such as alonetone, FileDEN, weebly, etc. I'd move them myself, but that would put them in my "Play All My Songs" jukebox instead of DSS's. So it's best if DSS does it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Gritter

Some nice playing and composing. Great to hear this side of your music. Thanks for posting.

cuthbert

Wonderful to hear this music, DSS - thanks for posting it, and the stories!

I liked them all, but I favor your 'Gimno-Sportive' - it's got that rolling and spare type of melody that I love hearing on a piano.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

lg

This was rather exciting of a listen!
I especially like the 1st piece with the cello!!!
Piepod

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

launched

Quote from: cuthbert on March 18, 2011, 02:19:46 PMI liked them all, but I favor your 'Gimno-Sportive' - it's got that rolling and spare type of melody that I love hearing on a piano.

I agree - Wonderful songwriting there!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

dasilvasings

64/ Cuth thanks for the advice. Next time I'll break into 3 posts. I'll leave as it is because there were replies in between.

To all, thanks for the comments - I didn't play a single note on this songs. They were made in midi, with mouse and music staves. I'm not that good in writing/ reading music - there was a lot of trial and error, and even more of "error a let go"  :D

Cheers,

Miguel
recorder
Boss Micro BR