Considering buying Acoustic Bass

Started by FuzzFace, November 28, 2008, 08:52:24 AM

FuzzFace

Can I get a clean crisp tone for recording from the direct line of an acoustic bass?

I just think they look cool so I want one.

But if the main purpose is recording, am I better off with an electric?

Greeny

Never played an acoustic bass, so it's hard to give constructive advice. I'd buy it anyway. Go on. You know you want to  :D

Flash Harry

I want an acoustic bass.

But, I have played loads of them in the shop and I have yet to find one that feels right. Most feel particularly 'un-guitar' like. When you pick up a nice solid topped six stringer it feels alive in your hands, I want a bass guitar to feel like that. The majority feel dead and sound dead. All the life is sapped out of the strings moving glue and ply and the rest of the guff about. Yuk!

I have found that some Tanglewoods feel right and play nicely, but they are expensive for what the are. Too much to justify paying for what you get in my opinion. You don't get a lot of volume out of them either, there is no big sound like you get from a jumbo or dreadnaught.

So I stick to my Aria for most stuff.

I'd sooner spend my money on a fretless at the moment.

Just my twopen'orth.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on December 01, 2008, 09:10:54 AMI'd sooner spend my money on a fretless at the moment.

Like Mick Karn...  :)

Brilliant.

FuzzFace

Quote from: Flash Harry on December 01, 2008, 09:10:54 AMI'd sooner spend my money on a fretless at the moment.

Like Pink Floyd Animals.

guitarron

i'd just track it with a mic-it's acoustic

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder