A couple of short Chapman Stick noodles.

Started by shadowself, March 16, 2011, 06:37:37 PM

shadowself

tinylittlestickriff
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I did these within a week of getting the Stick.  I don't play it as much as I should... it's a very cool, but very scary instrument. :)

No overdubs, just one live stereo track.

recorder
Record
recorder
Reason

Greeny

I've no idea what a chapman stick is, but I like the way it sounds. Really blissful and lush - kind of like a chorus and delay pedal working in tandem. This is going to make some cool songs.

Geir

You have a Stick !!! WOW ... and this is after just a week ! You're quite a talented dude !!!!

Tim you might have seen or heard mr Levin play it :
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

Lol - just googled them. I know what they are but I didn't know what they were called. Prive has one (WHERE are you Marcelo?!). I'm not sure if he ever posted anything recorded on his one though. I can tell that playing them would take an awful lot of skill and talent. I can barely get my left hand working properly on the fretboard, let alone both hands in unison.

Bluesberry

I love it.......and I love it......and I love it......how much do they cost....looks pricey.......GAS............I love this.........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Man, I love the second one even more.....sounds so beautiful.........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

man o man after 1 week, i am gonna be looking out for your posts. braw yell yer maw.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

shadowself

RE: Cost.

It depends on the model.  Because the waiting list for a new one is the better part of a year, old Sticks do not depreciate.  I found a seller who was kind and trusting enough to ship it and take payments for a year.  I financed it by playing a couple online gigs a week in Second Life. :)  I paid roughly $2000 for it but you can get them used for a little less if you have cash upfront.

Here is a price list for all models (new) http://stick.com/prices/

RE: After just a week.

I was very passionate about learning how to play it, it consumed all my time for a while.  After that, I played it about as much as I play my guitars.  Now I barely touch it - and I am kicking myself.  It is over at a friend's studio right now, but I shall retrieve it soon and get back into it.  It is easy to improvise really cool sounding riffs, but extremely hard to master.  

As for the tuning, the 'guitar' side is tuned in 4ths, and the bass side in 5ths (with the strings inverted)

recorder
Record
recorder
Reason

Ferryman

Brilliant. My friend (a superlative guitarist) has one, they are incredible things. I particularly liked the second piece. i can't get a sensible noise out of it myself!

Elephant Talk by King Crimson - the Stick's finest hour (except these pieces of course).

Looking forward to hear more of what you do with this.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman on March 18, 2011, 01:37:03 PMElephant Talk by King Crimson - the Stick's finest hour (except these pieces of course).

Oh, yeah!  8)   Some pretty great guitar playing by Belew and Fripp too. And one of my favourite rock drummers, Bill Bruford. What a band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEZ55EQOcE

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website