Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

dasilvasings

There was a version of cubase for windows 3.1. And before that there were glorious days with Commodore Amiga's Screamtracker (?).
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

In 1984, there was a program for the Commodore 64 called "Multitrack Recorder". That same year, the makers of "Multitrack Recorder" created a midi sequencer called "Pro 16". These evolved into "Pro 24" then "Cubit". In 1989, the name of "Cubit" was changed to "Cubase".

http://www.steinbergusers.com/cubase/cubase_legacy.php

Do I win, or has somebody found some home multitrack software from before 1984?  :D  (It probably exists)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Almost forgot - I was making multitrack recordings with these in 1982:

Mind you, it was MIDI recording (sequencing) rather than audio recording. But it could be argued that MIDI sequencing was the start of the home multitrack recording revolution.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Interesting thread.

I do think Apple have had a major part in bringing us to where we are today in home recording. Tho they where just a platform in the start, they have been the preferred computer environment for recording software for close to 2 decades. And as far as I can recall, and backed up by the link below, I think the first computerbased multitrack recording was pro-tools on a Mac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digidesign

And the main reason for Apple beeing able to keep ahead of Wintel for multimedia applications I believe is their choice of processor. As far as I can recall, they used the Motorola 68000 series (same series as Commodore Amiga) and that gave them an advantage over Wintel that lasted for MANY years ..... well this last is just from memory .... someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Quote1989 - Digidesign launches the first digital audio workstation system, Sound Tools, for the Apple Macintosh. The company refers to it as "the first tapeless recording studio".[2]
Thanks Steve......we are all here on this site because of you.....I owe you a beer.......

Look what this guy was doing with an Apple II in 1980-1982...........Herbie Hancock, page 3 of the link....very interesting read......digital multi-track recording and looping......damn pioneer.  So it looks like Steve Jobs and Apple really were in the forefront of the whold digital multi-track recording revolution..........its a straight line to the Boss microBR.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=MjAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=linn+drum+apple+computer&source=bl&ots=_0Y9pJCDoY&sig=n31PAMR0exoHeN5t9gjH0HXtB70&hl=en&ei=Mu-BTZiAKMnTgAfhnZDJCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEcQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=linn%20drum%20apple%20computer&f=true

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Interesting read. I will have to say that I still love CD's because of the tangible qualities. I get to hold them in my hand, read the liner notes, fold-ins, etc. Buying digital music just seems a little lackluster to me.

And, you can't sell a rare mp3 on Amazon for a hundred bucks. Some CD's are selling like old vinyl now - I cleared out a few I didn't listen to anymore and was shocked by the money I got for some old "beer coasters". Probably should have done better research.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

dasilvasings

Uf! Finally someone understands me! In fact I'm slowly trying to get back to vinyl - I think I never enjoyed so much music like when I was young and was (slowly) buying e.g. Pink Floyd albuns made hundreds of years before and discovering songs that were completely new to me - there was no peeking ahead at youtube or mp3s - there was a pleasure in holding the album, laid in the sofa, making an angry face when my sisters started yelling to lower the volume, lending albuns to friends, getting mad when they were returned with a scratch, recording tapes to offer (girl)friends. I still know 1000 lyrics and guitar solos by heart, from albuns I don't hear in ages.

Now I listen to music in front of the computer with headphones. A friend of mine offered me a couple of months a CD with (a million) mp3s. I haven't binned yet, but I haven't heard it either.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

QuoteInteresting read. I will have to say that I still love CD's because of the tangible qualities. I get to hold them in my hand, read the liner notes, fold-ins, etc. Buying digital music just seems a little lackluster to me.

And, you can't sell a rare mp3 on Amazon for a hundred bucks. Some CD's are selling like old vinyl now - I cleared out a few I didn't listen to anymore and was shocked by the money I got for some old "beer coasters". Probably should have done better research.

Quote from: dasilvasings on March 17, 2011, 10:45:02 AMUf! Finally someone understands me! In fact I'm slowly trying to get back to vinyl - I think I never enjoyed so much music like when I was young and was (slowly) buying e.g. Pink Floyd albuns made hundreds of years before and discovering songs that were completely new to me - there was no peeking ahead at youtube or mp3s - there was a pleasure in holding the album, laid in the sofa, making an angry face when my sisters started yelling to lower the volume, lending albuns to friends, getting mad when they were returned with a scratch, recording tapes to offer (girl)friends. I still know 1000 lyrics and guitar solos by heart, from albuns I don't hear in ages.

Now I listen to music in front of the computer with headphones. A friend of mine offered me a couple of months a CD with (a million) mp3s. I haven't binned yet, but I haven't heard it either.

I agree with you guys ^. Almost all of you have taken Bon Jovi's words out of context. I think it is too bad that young people are missing out on the album buying experience in a proper record store. Buying music based on album cover graphics or having just heard a single and finding the gems within the album which is played in the order of how the band meant it to be presented. This is echoing Bon Jovi's statement. In a way it's become more about quantity than quality: "I've got 10,000 songs on my phone how many do you got?" vs. "Well I got the original pressing flip top lighter cover of The Wailers' Catch A Fire, The Beatles Seargent Peppers cut-outs on my wall and Nevermind the Bollocks on pink vinyl". It has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's technology or what they've done for home recording.

I don't own an MP3 player or an ipod. I bought a real CD yesterday of Bob Marley's new Live Forever double album (his very last concert in 1980 recorded in Pittsburgh) It's awesome by the way. I occasionally download music and make mixed CDs to play in the car. I still have vinyl though nothing to play them on at the moment.

Music has become a service industry rather than a product industry and music has become more disposable because of it.

I don't think MP3 players are a bad thing I just prefer the tangibles. Smaller isn't neccessarily better...and that's what she said!

Saijinn Maas

AH! You got me! Every timeline I found never mentioned an operating system for the original Sound Tools, so I went by the first mention of the MAC os in the timeline. Didn't look at the history of Sound Tools directly. :/

I still stand by the fact that Apple is only responsible for opening a corporate store to sell what everyone until then was getting free. They neither invented the mp3, nor were original in music downloading. They just positioned themselves to take advantage of us not having another avenue, and are just a responsible for the downfall of the local record store. I miss those stores :(

Either way, it looks like both take a backseat to the Commodore 64 based on what 64g found. :P