Jon Bon Jovi Vs Steve Jobs

Started by henwrench, March 16, 2011, 12:23:35 PM

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: Bluesberry on March 16, 2011, 04:09:35 PMAnd Steve Jobs is one of the big reasons we have Apple computers, and  garageband and other music software and  other brand computers in the home (IBM wasn't interested in the home computer market, it was only after APPLE invented that market that the IBM and others started making home computers) in the first place, and all that goes with that..........digital music making hardware and software in our homes that allow us to create music that rivals the big studios in terms of quality.  If it wasn't for the evolution (revolution?) that started with Steve Jobs and Apple we may not have Boss recording machines and Garageband and all that other music software........thanks Steve, you have enriched my life in ways I can't even imagine.  Now I can create a mp3 in the comfort of my home and share it with the world, and receive other folks mp3 from all over the world.....and it can all be traced back to Steve Jobs.  This site exists because Steve Jobs was born.  Bon Jovi is a rock dinosaur that doesn't want the average joe to have the ability to participate in the music business as he has been allowed to, he wants it all for the elite chosen few, with flowing golden locks.....that sucks Bon....you suck.

Though I cannot argue regarding Apple in the home at this time. It is arguable that they were responsible for home recording as we know it. In the 90's
ADAT 8 track digital decks arrive

MIDI Guitar arrives and fails

With Windows 3.1 Audio multi track recording becomes possible

The First MIDI and Audio Sequencers come out

MIDI Modules flourish

The Computer based home studio flourishes when Windows 95 is released

Audio plugins are introduced and take off

The Virtual mixer appears in sequencers

Early software synthesizers arrive

Soundfonts and software samplers emerge.

Multi timbral synths go from 32 to 64 voices

The first CDR recorders appear

Tweakheadz Lab is born (1996)

Digital mixers become popular in high end home studios

MP3.com allows musicians to upload their work for free and actually pays musicians

Audio interfaces emerge to replace soundcards

Some studios start going mixerless

Synthesizers based on modeling arrive--the virtual analog synths are born

Garageband, Apple's foray into the home recording market, did not happen until 2002. It was the invention of Windows 95, and specifically 98, that made home computers a viable platform for home recording. And since it can be argued that the digital recorders that we all love and use are an evolution of the old reel to reel and ADAT units, I don't think Apple can be claimed to the champions and pioneers of what we use today. It looks like it is a standard evolution of the recording units at the time.

Now I could be completely wrong on all of the this as I am going from mostly memory. So please, if you have any information that show me to be inaccurate, by all means I'd love to see it. I love this stuff ;)  

Gnasty

My dream of working at  a record store is over now >:(
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Bluesberry

And my dream of owning a combo Pizza restaurant-record store is dead too.  I was going to serve the pizzas on the record of your choice, eat the pizza and take the record home to listen to.....brilliant idea I must say......dashed by Steve Jobs......thanks a lot fella.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: cuthbert on March 16, 2011, 04:31:52 PMProfit margins for online mp3 sales versus CDs (for customers still buying them) must be a very large reason why the music industry is now crying poor mouth.

You'd think all those legal departments could have negotiated terms that would make them happy?  ;)

You would think so   heh  

The record company didn't realize that people would eventually not need them. With places like CDbaby and Tone(something or other), who allow you to put your music on itunes directly now, the record companies of old are in danger of extinction.

Though, to play devils advocate, I do have to point out one thing in favor of the record studios. There was a similar trend fairly recently with places like LULU, who allow writers to "self-publish" their own books and bypass the RANDOM HOUSE-like companies. I've purchase more than a handful of these types of books and I have to say that the overall quality of writing is atrocious! I am talking about more than just typos in the book. Without a real editor to guide the writers a lot of sub-standard stuff is making its way to market. And it really is a waste of money to buy these things and find out how bad it is. Hard to go by reviews, since there is so much of it out there now, that not everything can be reviewed with an type of decent numbers.

I have seen this in some of the indy music I've downloaded from itunes too. For every really great "self published" band I find, there is ten that should never have been allowed to see the light of day, let alone charge anyone for.

FuzzFace

Quote from: Gnasty on March 16, 2011, 04:40:47 PMMy dream of working at  a record store is over now >:(

Same here.
Now I gotta settle for President of the United States.

Gnasty

Quote from: Bluesberry on March 16, 2011, 04:44:09 PMAnd my dream of owning a combo Pizza restaurant-record store is dead too.  I was going to serve the pizzas on the record of your choice, eat the pizza and take the record home to listen to.....brilliant idea I must say......dashed by Steve Jobs......thanks a lot fella.

Hey BB...if you can`t beat them join them...Let`s make an Ipod & Ipad pizza restaurant. The mark up might be high but Steve Jobs can pay for that.

We`ll make the best anchovy(Bon Jovi) pizza in town.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

FuzzFace

Quote from: Gnasty on March 16, 2011, 04:55:20 PM
Quote from: Bluesberry on March 16, 2011, 04:44:09 PMAnd my dream of owning a combo Pizza restaurant-record store is dead too.  I was going to serve the pizzas on the record of your choice, eat the pizza and take the record home to listen to.....brilliant idea I must say......dashed by Steve Jobs......thanks a lot fella.

Hey BB...if you can`t beat them join them...Let`s make an Ipod & Ipad pizza restaurant. The mark up might be high but Steve Jobs can pay for that.

We`ll make the best anchovy(Bon Jovi) pizza in town.

Would you like an iPad with that?

cuthbert

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on March 16, 2011, 04:36:02 PMIt was the invention of Windows 95, and specifically 98, that made home computers a viable platform for home recording.

I'm not saying this statement is not true, but I do know that before 1995, there were several Macintosh applications that supported multitrack recording, and some of them were not very expensive. I'm thinking of Alaska Software Digitrax (I used this around 1996, but it had been out a couple of years by then), Macromedia Deck, and Digidesign Pro Tools (very expensive, at that time).

Apple had a minuscule percentage of the home computing market then, but they did offer a platform for digital multitrack recording in the early/mid Nineties.

Of course, once solutions were available for Windows systems, it really took off.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

Quote from: Gnasty on March 16, 2011, 04:40:47 PMMy dream of working at  a record store is over now >:(

Hey, come on down to New England, Gnasty! We still have Newbury Comics and Bullmoose Music (and lots of little vinyl joints spread out).  ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: cuthbert on March 16, 2011, 05:07:30 PM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on March 16, 2011, 04:36:02 PMIt was the invention of Windows 95, and specifically 98, that made home computers a viable platform for home recording.

I'm not saying this statement is not true, but I do know that before 1995, there were several Macintosh applications that supported multitrack recording, and some of them were not very expensive. I'm thinking of Alaska Software Digitrax (I used this around 1996, but it had been out a couple of years by then), Macromedia Deck, and Digidesign Pro Tools (very expensive, at that time).

Apple had a minuscule percentage of the home computing market then, but they did offer a platform for digital multitrack recording in the early/mid Nineties.

Of course, once solutions were available for Windows systems, it really took off.

That may have come from my inability to find anything for that time period. But I suspect that my either my search terms did not encompass that, or the fact that I stopped looking around the 5th page of the search.

Even with what I put though, was sort of misleading. PC also had computer recording before then too, but it wasn't until Win95 and 98 that multitracking was seen as being capable within the power of home pcs. At least that's what I've found in a number home recording history timelines. Either way, I think that if was indeed minuscule, it most likely had less of an effect on the market than was indicated. If we really get right to it, it think it was Pro Tools that started the REAL possibility of computer base digital recording. Their first version was in '91. Though I find it odd that it doesn't state which OS it was. It sounds like it was a standalone editing machine initially since '89 called Sound Tools which eventually became Pro Tools. Their first iteration was a 4 track that cost $6000. It sound like after that, other companies thought to compete with cheaper computer based versions. Pro Tools didn't support the MAC os until 2003. So as far as home systems, it may have been mac first.