Jon Bon Jovi Vs Steve Jobs

Started by henwrench, March 16, 2011, 12:23:35 PM

henwrench

'Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business'

Jon Bon Jovi       March 2011

HA HA HA. No, Steve Jobs is partially responsible for killing your bank account, y'moron.

Discuss......

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StevieM

Errrr-----Who's Steve Jobs??? What's he done???
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

dasilvasings

I read those news today, and I come to agree with BJ - what he said was that SJ & itunes killed the album concept (not the music industry in itself) - kids download songs and can't hear a full album anymore.

In my opinion, the best songs are always the last in albuns (quick example: I am teh ressurection / stone roses), they are important for bands because they are always risky and more experimental. I always thought fo them as a treat for the fans. With itunes and all this mp3 madness, it's rare to listen to a full album, especially a weirder last song. We all lose!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

thetworegs

Steve Jobs is the genius who came up with an idiot proof way for me to make music.....right on Steve....he freed the music from the business....now its back to talent and live music ........

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Saijinn Maas

Am I missing something here. What was it that Steve Jobs created to make music? I thought we were talking about iTunes, so maybe I am just brain dead. :P

cuthbert

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on March 16, 2011, 03:24:51 PMWhat was it that Steve Jobs created to make music?

It's not that, it's the pattern. If you look at it from the bottom up:

The claim is mp3 files are killing the music industry.

Apple (led by Steve Jobs) created the iPod, which was if not the birth of the mp3 player, certainly helped create a lot of hardware siblings. Apple is now the dominant mp3 player manufacturer (iPods in all flavors, iPhones, and iPads, all of which play mp3 files), and their iTunes Store is the dominant mp3 seller online. Apple has changed the business model for the music industry.

Therefore, Bon Jovi hates Steve Jobs.   :D

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

And Steve Jobs is one of the big reasons we have Apple computers, and  garageband and other music software and  other brand computers in the home (IBM wasn't interested in the home computer market, it was only after APPLE invented that market that the IBM and others started making home computers) in the first place, and all that goes with that..........digital music making hardware and software in our homes that allow us to create music that rivals the big studios in terms of quality.  If it wasn't for the evolution (revolution?) that started with Steve Jobs and Apple we may not have Boss recording machines and Garageband and all that other music software........thanks Steve, you have enriched my life in ways I can't even imagine.  Now I can create a mp3 in the comfort of my home and share it with the world, and receive other folks mp3 from all over the world.....and it can all be traced back to Steve Jobs.  This site exists because Steve Jobs was born.  Bon Jovi is a rock dinosaur that doesn't want the average joe to have the ability to participate in the music business as he has been allowed to, he wants it all for the elite chosen few, with flowing golden locks.....that sucks Bon....you suck.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: cuthbert on March 16, 2011, 03:54:25 PMThe claim is mp3 files are killing the music industry.

I understood that part, as that was what I thought the point was. What threw me off was that Apple created a way to make music.

I downloaded mp3s for a long time before the ipod or itunes was invented. Though itunes did turn it mainstream, it is arguable that it killed the concept of an album. That is perfectly fine in my eyes. Especially seen as how the record industry has been run previously, and currently for that matter.

I was just wondering if he was saying that Apple created the method of being able to create music period. I thought I was missing something.

MPEGs were first created in '92 with the MP3 coming out in '96. The widespread mp3 player at the time was WINAMP which came out in '98. With Napster launching in '99, it was the most widesread method of getting mp3s. Coincidentally, (;)) the ipod and itunes launched in 2001. Though they were not the first portable mp3 player (RIO PMP300 appears to be), they were instrumental in making the use of mp3s a viable and legal alternative to the shut down of Napster.

If I remember correctly, the music industry fully backed itunes because it meant the downfall of Napster, and because it now allowed them to get paid for the downloading of music, which wasn't the case with Napster.

I love mp3s and what it has meant for people like us who make music ourselves. What I don;t get is that the very people that backed places like itunes are now saying it is a problem. Nevermind that bands seem to think that THAT is why they are having a problem, FORGET the fact that they've failed to keep themselves relevant. I suppose the metal bands from the 80's should be suing Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, for bringing grunge to the masses and killing off their fan base instead of blaming itunes for their poor sales. :P

cuthbert

Profit margins for online mp3 sales versus CDs (for customers still buying them) must be a very large reason why the music industry is now crying poor mouth.

You'd think all those legal departments could have negotiated terms that would make them happy?  ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places