Bring Your Daydreams To Me - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, March 06, 2011, 12:26:15 PM

AndyR

Thanks folks...

Kinda showing my roots here - I was brought up on country music. The first gigs I went to were Slim Whitman, George Hamilton IV, Billie Jo Spears...  I was GUTTED that my parents went to see Glen Campbell without me.

I listened to this yesterday (I'd forgotten what it sounded like or how it went - it was written and recorded that fast!)... I wasn't too fond of the bass part, and I know I could do a better vocal...

But listening to it now, I do kinda like it as it is, so I'm not messing.

Greeny, I tried the gospel choir bit. Partly I was too tired, but then I realised that it wouldn't be true to what the song means to me... so it was naked vocal upfront... I'm also fairly sure this could get quite icky with too much "production" going on... but I wasn't brave enough to do it "late Johnny Cash" style (and also I couldn't make my mind up whether to use a standard acoustic or a resonator in G, so I used both, and it was always meant to have the double-bass on it anyway, that's why I started it!)

Hmmm... well... glad you folks like it - I could turn these out til the cows come home without even drawing breath :D. Mebbe not with such good lyrics, this set has been haunting me for ages, I don't usually come up with lyrics that just seem to "work" so well for me.

Interesting, your responses might have steered me in a different direction than I was planning for the next one!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Dear lord Andy....what have you done here....for a song thrown out so easily, so quickly, all in one day as you say, this is one of your strongest songs.....There is a real vibe here.  I think it goes along with the whole Neil Young recording school of thought, get it down fast, don't second guess yourself, the first or 2 or at most 3 takes are always the best, maybe not the most polished, but always the best...thats what NY always says.  Thats why you should leave this one alone, you captured something here that would be lost in re-doing anything.  I really like the bass like that, punchy, moves the song along.  Vocally it is damn good, I couldn't imagine you improving on that performance by any more run-throughs.  If this is your roots, and a quickly recorded effort, then I say do some more in this vein, it really works.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

You really are showing your raw talent here Andy. Your work is usually so impressive on so many levels that your basic skills can get overlooked. But here we have fabulous lyrics, a straightforward but incredibly effective song and superb vocals with subtle instrumental backing that complements but never overwhelms. It just works so well together. The bass sounds fantastic and really anchors everything.

I have never been a fan of country music but since I;ve been on this site my eyes (and ears) have been opened. This was a real pleasure to listen to and it also could be a massive hit. The quality is of the performance and recording is so high this is easily ready for commercial airplay.

Great stuff as always!

Cheers,

Nigel   

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

daveyboy

This is outstanding Andy, so good on all levels...and that is some vocal!
Will be sure to check out your other material based on this

Simon M

A really heartfelt vocal performance.  I could tell that you had really lived those lyrics.  Great stuff, lovely slide work as well.

Cheers

Simon

Kenny B

WOW!  What a great tune!  The feel and tempo of this song
is excellent and everything about it is just so moving ... damn!

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

This is so damn good that I don't even know what I think about it!!

It is one of those songs that just take you away on a little daydream when you listen to it!
A completely immersive experience!

There is a great strength which shines through on this song. The "Crying into your beer" vibe certainly becomes masked by the air of hope in this song!

Inspiring and totally outstanding Andy!

Peace

T

P.s..  And Oh Man!!  What a Voice!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

did i say this is magic
it bloody is
it's bloody magic
there i said it.
magic
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Thanks muchly folks.

T, I have to admit, while I was typing the lyrics out, I was thinking "interesting, this lot approaches what T does - I wonder how he turns it on so consistently?" :D

And I like how you hear the air of hope in it. I wasn't sure it was still there, but when I wrote the lyrics years ago (no music in my head at all), I do remember it was a kind of comforting moment. It was 2 or 3 in the morning and I couldn't sleep. So I turned the bedside light on, rolled a cigarette, reached for the notebook and pen and wrote some lines to myself. After I'd written them, didn't take too long, I was able to sleep.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Black Mary

Hi Andy. This is a masterclass in songwriting. If The Eagles for example had written this it would have been a monster hit. Its got timeless classic written all over it. I'm in awe. Fantastic !!!!!
kingliggermusic