Tommy Emmanuel's Incredible Guitar Skills...

Started by Greeny, November 26, 2008, 03:45:31 AM

Greeny

I'd never heard of this guy until recently. I know someone who often plays this Beatles medley of his live - which is not good when I'm on immediately after him on open mic nights! In fact, it's downright scary  :D

Anyone who plays guitar will know how damn good (and difficult) this is. Anyway... enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNRzWlhk4Vc

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

I've heard him talk about how he got good.  He practiced. A lot. Everyday.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ronniejm

I went to see him when he played in the UK, must be about 8 or 9 years ago now, absolutey amazing guitar player, and a funny guy as well, one concert I will never forget.

I had been learning/struggling with Mason williams classical gas for a while before that and was getting to the stage where i thought it was sounding not too bad, then I watched Tommy Emmanual play it live and was blown away, look it up on youtube if you get the chance. what would we give to able to play like that???
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Boss BR-800

My Jukebox

Greeny

Quote from: Ronniejm on November 27, 2008, 10:21:56 AMI went to see him when he played in the UK, must be about 8 or 9 years ago now, absolutey amazing guitar player, and a funny guy as well, one concert I will never forget.

I had been learning/struggling with Mason williams classical gas for a while before that and was getting to the stage where i thought it was sounding not too bad, then I watched Tommy Emmanual play it live and was blown away, look it up on youtube if you get the chance. what would we give to able to play like that???

Glen Campbell does a great version of 'Classical Gas' too. Watching either one of these guys playing it would put me off ever attempting it myself!  :D

danieldesete

Ever heard him play blue moon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_w0UoYG_0

I have the guitar tabs of his cover : One day you'll see me playing like that  ;).
hou hou ha ha

Bluesberry

Its his obvious love for playing that is so cool.  He is really one with the guitar.  He is like the Jimi Hendrix of the acoustic, not too many people can play so well and make it look so effortless.  danieldesete, I look forward to hearing your stuff when you get this good.  Nice role model/influence to have.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Funny thing is, I know someone who CAN play like him. I thought he was a genius until I found out where he nicked it from. He just plays Tommy's stuff note for note. Now, that makes him an amazing guitar player in his own right, but it took away my awe of him to discover it was mimicry rather than his own amazing interpretations. It still brings crowded pubs to a halt though  :)

Mudhut

Keep on rocking in the free world :)