A Songcrafters Renaissance?

Started by Greeny, March 03, 2011, 06:01:09 AM

Tangled Wires

I think I have said on some recent comments of others songs, that the quality of music on the site has reached new heights of late. There are some new members who have blown me away, and some of the "older" stalwarts of the site have been taking their music to an even higher plain too.

Long may it continue, and whilst I may frequent other music websites, this site will always be No.1 in my book.....it really is a special place to me.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

With you there Andy. We always look for the positive here rather than pick holes. I do try to be balanced and occasionally give positive criticism (if I know the person reasonably well) but I would rather focus on the positives in any piece of work and try to encourage people. I saw some negative feedback tha Steffen had received on another forum and although you could argue there was some truth in it, it was very harsh and not the way I would express myself at all. I have seen so many artists here blossom and deliver amazing work, but I feel if we had given them really blunt feedback early on it would have put them off.

But i have found the standard of work so high here recently that really i would not be able to give much actual criticism. It really is a case of admiring and just searching for superlatives!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

Quote from: Ferryman on March 03, 2011, 01:11:05 PMI do try to be balanced and occasionally give positive criticism (if I know the person reasonably well) but I would rather focus on the positives in any piece of work and try to encourage people.

I could not agree with your more there Nigel, I always value your comments very much. There have been a couple of instances on songs I have posted on here previously where you have given a very positive response but also have pointed out where something could be changed or improved. Each time having read what you have said and listened to the song again, I have found myself completely agreeing with what you have said.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

Quote from: Ferryman on March 03, 2011, 01:11:05 PMI do try to be balanced and occasionally give positive criticism

... and I'm grateful for that!

Your comments way back about recording guitar tracks twice and panning them far left and far right opened me to a whole world of recording techniques.

Hi all, like you all, I too say that this site is going through a paticulary verdant patch of music production. I've been a member for about a year now and even in that comparitively short period of time the site has evolved in a way that makes me wonder what heights are still to be achieved. Halems latest offering might be a clue.
Lack of time seems to be the biggest drawback for us all, business before pleasure and all that, although there are those songs that have been put together in an evening that are brilliant.
New members are a constant source of enjoyment as they bring fresh music and outlooks to the forum but what I really enjoy are the longer term members that are missing for weeks then return with a blast, it's like the return of an old friend.
I belong to a couple of other sites, Soundclick which I haven't looked at for weeks and Soundcloud which was bought as a Christmas present for me, the membership will not be renewed next year although it's valuable to draw comparisons with.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this place has breathed new life into me and dare I say one or two others of you out there. May we go from strength to strength not forgetting those behind the scenes that make this place possible. Regards...............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

T.C. Elliott

I'd like to take partial credit for the upswing in quality. I stopped posting a song every week so the average is waaay up. (Just joking!!!)

I do FAWM every february and 50/90 every summer and those sites are very similar to this one in that the commenting is mostly encouraging and sometimes helpful but rarely (very rarely) is it criticizing. And I've found that the quality this past FAWM (all of February) was way up as well. So I don't think it's limited to songcrafters.

I have to admit I've been pretty absent so far this year here at songcrafters. But I can't imagine not at least checking in regularly. Too many great people and good songs to ever leave.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Gu Djin

I will totally endorse most of whats been said.  And yes there are several sites I belong to where the standard has hit new heights, but this one is the only one with that shared sense of fun and community and is not afraid to embrace the fact that music can be so diverse.

Long live song crafters and the creative spirit it excites.

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gu Djin on March 05, 2011, 12:01:41 PMbut this one is the only one with that shared sense of fun and community and is not afraid to embrace the fact that music can be so diverse.

Long live song crafters and the creative spirit it excites.

Leigh
Well said Leigh, well said

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Halem

An idea of new musical age, when musicians no longer produce stuff behind closed doors and let corporations sell it, but instead play, produce and share it openly, when everyone can join and enjoy is actually amazing, i never thought about it. It reminds me of flamenco fiestas, when everyone can come and join, play, dance, sing or just watch, listen and enjoy themselves.

And this is quite right place to start, i think. Unbelievable amount of good musicians here, you can check every random song in "Original songs" and i bet you will enjoy it. The atmosphere, the community - all set for the maximum creativity, i feel lucky that i came here one day.

I also like alonetone, but only as hosting\commenting service, didn't join forums yet. Great atmosphere too, Sudara really seems to put his soul in the site. And no ads and all that stuff in the time of total switching the internet to money-making rails, that deserves respect.

FuzzFace

The renaissance or revolution is worldwide and is bigger than the demise of the music industry.

From governments being overthrown by means of social networking tools, to WikiLeaks and other sites facilitating mass whilstleblowing, to friends and family members pulling out their iphones and verifying any given factoid to settle debates over dinner.

The times they are a'changin'!