Lessons of My Life

Started by boneonbone, February 21, 2011, 02:53:22 PM

boneonbone

Lessons of My Life
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Took some of your feedback and remixed the original backing off the volume and taking the chorus and compression off.   Hope you like this version better.

Haven't had much time lately to write or record but did manage to finish up this ballad.   Had this acoustic guitar melody (and a song title) stuck in my head and had to get rid of it....and this is the result.  Still trying to learn acoustic guitar and vocal recording on the BR800 and not where I want it to be yet.  As always, I appreciate your comments and advice.

Lessons of My Life
©2011

Empty words fill,  lines of faded pages,
Sad reminders, how love can die in stages, when,
The fire slowly turns to ash, and ash gets scattered,
Throughout the lessons of my life.

Walls of silence, captured in these rusted cages,
Silent echoes, from fields where battles wagered on,
Words like jagged bullets fly, pierce the armor,
Throughout the lessons of my life.

In the time, it takes to say "I love you"
In the time, it takes to show you care,
There'll be dreams, and scenes, that last forever.

Life is not meant to be, lived out passive
Every passing year brings, new perspective.
Another chapter to this book, no rhyme nor reason,
These are the lessons of my life .

Lessons of my life.
"Play because you love it. Don't worry about if it will ever make any money, just understand that playing is an end in itself, and you play music, it will make your life better. And, don't worry about being a star, don't worry about making money, worry about nothing, just sit down with your guitar and let it speak to you and that will make your life better. It will bring beauty into your life. It's a great thing to do."     ---- David Crosby

Gritter

Pure and true. Good lyrics and performance. A beautiful bit of melancholy.

Seems to be distorting in my headphones. was it recorded at too hot or can that be adjusted in the mix?

Tangled Wires

This is a very fine song, you create such a wonderful melody with the guitars.

Very strong vocal too, and like the way you double up in parts in the second and third verses, as well as the chorus. The only thing I would say, is that the vocal is a little overpowering in parts when it doubles up, and I thought I heard a little clipping on it in places.

Its a minor niggle in really well written and performed song...reminded me a bit of James Taylor.

Great stuff!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

boneonbone

Did record it a bit hot but short of distorting on my headphones.....will maybe have to try remix and backing-off a bit.....
"Play because you love it. Don't worry about if it will ever make any money, just understand that playing is an end in itself, and you play music, it will make your life better. And, don't worry about being a star, don't worry about making money, worry about nothing, just sit down with your guitar and let it speak to you and that will make your life better. It will bring beauty into your life. It's a great thing to do."     ---- David Crosby

Geir

What a wonderful song !!!!! Great melody and great lyrics !

Except for the clipping at some places it sounds good. I would like to hear it with a more natural guitar-sound (no chorus or FX at all, just a tad of reverb), but that is a matter of taste. I've also started turning off the compression for most of my recordings with the 800. You can always add compression in the mastering step. I find that helps me get better acoustic recordings.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Gritter

The new mix sounds sweet. Your guitar and voice are perfect.

launched

Oh my goodness!! I felt the vibe!

Love the playing and production, and great songwriting too!

Very cool!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

Oh yeah !!! Love that new mix much "cleaner" and gets your voice and guitarplaying more through. IMHO a much better better mix.

And what a voice !!!

on my 3rd liten already. this is a keeper !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tangled Wires

Much better mix. You just made this superb song sound even better!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

This is a lovely, lovely song. Reminds me of Don McClean's songwriting style, which is to say it's full of classic-sounding goodness. It made want to listen again straight away too. Beautiful work.