Flutes of the Early Americas

Started by Spiritsong, February 18, 2011, 03:31:22 PM

Spiritsong

Native American style....

For as long as I can remember the Native American flute has captured my deepest imagination of its mysteries. They have a voice that is unique in the instrument realm. The wood seems to speak as if it is alive, kinda like a rebirth. No two flutes are alike. They may look alike, but they will never sound the same. Music knowledge is not a requirement to play, it comes straight from the heart.

I found out a number of years ago, of my ancestors. It could be my ancient grandfathers or grandmothers calling on me to create and play? Strange happenings have been a common occurrence.

Well, just wanted to give a spot here for these old flutes. Lets see how many peeps here have experienced this type of flute. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I also create my own flutes,
so have a little crafting knowledge if anyone needs help with their flute.

Once I figure out my recorder, I'll share some songs. Recently a good friend and myself had a nice little jam session. He played his stand-up bass and I with several flutes. Kinda ended up to be a spacy jazz sound rather than my norm,,,, interesting

Wiley

;)  I am waiting to hear one of your songs!!!  I personally love the flutes and "Strum sticks"!! The flute is the most natural sound ever!!  Again can't wait!!
Pj

Spiritsong

PJ, glad to hear of your interest in flutes. What key do you have?
There is a problem among flutists, did you hear?
Its called acquiringfluteitis and its really bad.

It is good to have at least two, so when one wets out..just grab the other one.
There are quite a number of keys also.

I'll try and get up a song or two here soon. One of the pieces I did with my bass friend
turned out decent. I only used the on-board mike and straight recording on the Micro BR,
I know it could have been much better. Oh well, just learning anyway.

Spiritsong

Heres a flute I made last year from a branch I found laying on the ground.
see attachment

Spiritsong

Heres another..this one os a F# made from a blank of Alaskan Yellow Cedar.
see attachment

Spiritsong

And one more....this one I made from River-cane. Vert sweet playing flute.
Hard to image playing a piece of grass?
see attachment

Wiley

Do you sell any of your flutes? You do beautiful work!!  They look so cool!!
PJ

Wiley

I have two , A minor and D minor,  And I like the A minor the best.  Would love to have one of the big ones to get really lower sounds,  but that green stuff kind of slows one down. LOL
PJ

Spiritsong

PJ- Thanks, I haven't gotten into selling them...but have been pondering over it. Most of the people who make flutes to sell have to do it in sort of "modern" way, like lathe and router work. Just to be able to make more flutes in less time. Hand crafting is what I like to do, but it takes a long time...to do it right anyway. There are a handful of people still doing it the old way..they get a fine price for their work also.

If you are thinking of a large flute for very little money, I can point you to a maker "Cherokee" who makes wonderful cane flutes. I've bought 4 from them and love them all. My favorite one is a large "E" and cost me $45.00! Let me know.

Good you have a Am flute. That flute goes well with about anything.

suburban behemoth

I have a cedar flute stashed away somewhere. I've been meaning to do some recording with it. I bought it in at a store in Berlin, MA called The Silver Buffalo..

http://www.silverbuffalo.com/na_jewelry.htm

recorder
Boss BR-864