Nearly a year

Started by The Gobi Desert Canoe Club, February 16, 2011, 08:52:55 AM

Hi all, I've been a member of this forum for very nearly a year now, my first post I think was in early March 2010. Today I went back and listened again to all my musical posts mostly out of curiosity to see if I've improved my recording, playing song writing etc. There have been some small improvements but still enormous scope to get better.I always enjoy a challenge. ;D  But what I was interested in mostly is do you guys have a favourite of your own material. I know it it sounds like you are being egotisical but the question is not to put you on a spot because there are many reasons a tune becomes a favourite. It could be the best you've played, produced, written or it could be a snapshot of your life at a given moment of time. Since I've asked I can tell you mine is "Such a Lucky Man" because I loved to see my wifes face when I told her it was for her. Regards...............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

ive been here over three years now and if you scroll down to the bottom of my play all my songs link, you will see how much i have improved (well thats a matter of opinion lol) but i always think my most recent is the best or worst depending how close ive been to it, uno that way you get so involved in a song you cant tell if its any good. and one last thing sometimes i hear a song i did ages ago and i get a pleasant surprise i suppose from listening with new ears and from a distance, the opposite can happen too especially if its something i have done when very very drunk.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Hi Willie, I have enjoyed your music quite a lot since you joined us in this madness we call home recording.  You have been a great addition to the site for sure.

Favorite song of mine?, you know, my favorite(s) are the "Lobster man/ Lobster boy" song cycle that I wrote in a mad flury last fall.  It started because of Henwrench and his Pirate fest, and the songs just came in a flood over about a month.  It was crazy, silly, and a lot of fun, and the best wave of inspriation I have ever ridden, it was a blast writing those songs....I have very fond menories of that period of home recording madness.  

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

The next one I am going to do is my favourite because my stuff always sounds better in my head than when I get it down on the BR800!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

You're right Nigel. Every realisation is a compromise on what your imagination promises you.

I'm my own worst enemy. I throw everything away.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

I do have a favourite, but I think we all listen to different things on our own songs compared to an impartial listener. For example, we might be very proud of a little section of guitar or some keyboards we threw on a track for the first time, but the listener won't know or be interested in these details - they only listen to the song and overall performance. So judging your own work is a bit hit and miss I find. I tend to listen to my girlfriend's opinion, because she's heard everything I've done. If she says it's good, I'll believe it (and vice-versa...).

My favourite of my own songs is 'Our English Coasts', but it's a close call between 5 or 6 songs.

Tangled Wires

I am often thinking that each new song is my favourite, however there are certain tracks that I do go back to listen to a lot. I would probably say that my favourite song of ours is "Silhouette Circles"...mainly because of the heavy bass line and the vocal outro to it. It was also probably one of our better productions too..which always helps!
Then again..ask me next week and I will have changed my mind.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

Since joining a year and a half ago, I think my production has inproved. My first bunch of recordings were songs that had been written and imagined years ago and finally recorded (I still have a few that fit this category). My favourites, however are the newer songs that haven't had much time to be imagined in my head and therefore often end up sounding better than I could have imagined! "Disclaimer" was written and recorded very quickly in a few hours and I enjoy the spontaneity of it. "I'm Gonna Get Somewhere" is my favourite. It was written and recorded within a few days and I am most proud of how everything came together without many retakes or frustration. Like a well lubricated....thingy.

AndyR

Interesting one...

Can't tell you my favourite AndyR song because you lot haven't heard it yet! Oh, alright, at the moment my favourite is something called "Mary wear my ring", it's sometimes knocked off the top spot (there's a song called "Precious" from around the same time vying for my attention at the moment), but "Mary" usually finds it's way back there... it's another one from 1994 or so, and I haven't figured out how to record it yet. But very often, the one I've just written is the favourite for a while. The one I've just recorded, however, is very rarely my favourite! :D

Out of stuff the stuff you can actually hear at the moment:

AR's favourite AR song: Sleeping with the Ghost. This isn't my favourite AR recording, several other AR originals on here came out better to my ears, but this is my favourite song. If had to delete all except one, this is the one I'd leave.

AR's favourite AR recording: Del Amitri's Sleep Instead of Teardrops. I just love what I managed to capture in the guitars and bass.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1