Polyrhythmic amnesia - HELP

Started by Geir, February 15, 2011, 06:49:27 AM

Geir

Sometimes musical memories long lost emerge to the surface of my conciousness .... sometimes they stay just below ...

I vaguely remember a tune from late 70s or early 80s (79-82 is best guess) .... could be weather report or Steve winwood or someone completely unrelated ... the characteristic that I remember is that the verse and the chorus had different tempo but the drummer kept the high-hat going in the same tempo in both parts so that it (probably) had the effect that he played 5/4 (or 7/4) on top of 4/4 on one of the parts.

Can anybody remember such a tune ???
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

ha !!!

I'll try to find the casette I had it on (that might take some weeks ;D ) and rip it
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

Can't think of any Stevie Winwood songs with any change of speed.... Arc of a Diver, Valerie, Higher Love...

Can you even remember a word or two from the song?

SdC

The only one with actual time signature changes from that era -that I can remember- is Golden Brown (Stranglers)

recorder
Boss BR-600

Geir

Quote from: Greeny on February 15, 2011, 07:24:55 AMCan't think of any Stevie Winwood songs with any change of speed.... Arc of a Diver, Valerie, Higher Love...

Can you even remember a word or two from the song?
I've checked out all steve winwood and WR songs I have (and youtubed some) without luck ... I just remembered that those artist were on the same casett and could have done such a thing.

I can't even remember if there were words on the tune (tho I think it was)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

puh .... found it, it was Steve Winwood !!!!

It's from his 1977 album "Steve Winwood", song named "Luck's in". Couldn't find a youtube of it but there's a snippet on his homepage:

http://www.stevewinwood.com/releases/steve_winwood/steve_winwood_steve_winwood
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SdC

I would not have guessed it from your description Geir.... but worth a listen again for sure, great album.  ;D

recorder
Boss BR-600