Hellraising Woman

Started by Kevin Mammoth, February 13, 2011, 06:31:00 AM

SwanSong

HI Kevin
This totally rocks.! great vocals super guitar loved the mix and panning.
in my opinion , almost has a touch of the song BEER DRINKERS AND HELLL RAISERS
BY ZZ TOPP but i know it s your original. well executed super . big bump up REGARDS NEILI

joedonner2001

Wolfmother + Black Sabbath + Ian Astbury on vocals!

Love it.

Geir

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Redler

A rock classic!! Superb job on each department! The drums are fantastic, as well!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

hardlock

Kudos to the drummer!  Kicking A, all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :o
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Spiritsong

Sweet! Great mix of everything, has a bit of hellish feel to it!

Ferryman

Hell yeah!!! This really ROCKS, just love those "mayhem" guitars (as Greeny calls them). The drumming is great, but the combo of guitars, vox and drums just works so well. Love the ending! Brilliant stuff, and very well recorded as well.

I don't know any hell raising women, this song makes me wish I did!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

This song reminds me of the music style of Cactus!
Great song, great production....

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Kevin Mammoth

Hi all, many thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, it helps makes all the effort worthwhile!

I have edited my first post to add one of those grey box thingies with recording details, for anyone interested.  This song was recorded over about 3 years - I kept going back and changing it (and acquiring more gear here and there).  The Les Paul Studio I started with on this song was on extended loan from a friend - when he finally asked for it back I went out and fulfilled a longstanding dream, and bought an SG - a '61 Reissue in Heritage Cherry - couldn't be happier - and that is what I finished off the song with. 

As far as influences go, Black Sabbath Master of Reality is definitely on the money - in fact the slightly doomy semi-tone bend that appears throughout the song owes a clear debt to "Into The Void".  But I wanted the lyrics to be fun and tongue in cheek, with just a touch of menace - and for that style of writing I look to the great Bon Scott for inspiration!  Oh yes, the Ian Astbury comment made my day - I can only dream...

Now about those drums...

No AndyR, I definitely didn't record real drums - I wouldn't know where to start!  I did what I always do, used the BR1600 drum loop programmer (track 11/12), loaded with loops I have painstakingly searched out and loaded into the BR over the years. The verses use a loop from a set called "Down The Middle" and the chorus is from "Unrelenting" - I chose that one particularly for the kick drum pattern, which really pushes along.  And as for fills, I think I used every fill I could find.  The drums took a long time to do.  But they came up better than usual on this song - I'm not sure why, but my thoughts are firstly I put them higher up in the mix than usual - I think in the past I have been too guitar-centric in my mixes (because we all love listening to guitars, don't we - especially our own!).  Secondly, I mixed in Garageband (my second foray into DAW land) and it seemed to work well.

Anyway, when it came to the mastering stage I was pleasantly surprised - I was hearing detail in the drums I had never noticed before.  I had the entirely unfamiliar sensation of "Hang on, something seems to be going right here!..." - instead of "Hmmm, not quite what I was hoping for, but it'll do...".  God be praised!

And no, I don't know any women like the one in this song, it is not based on experience!

Thanks again for the comments everyone, happy recording!

Kev
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

AndyR

Thanks for explaining about the drums. Loops, eh? I haven't looked into that side of things. But you're right about the mixing - sometimes they drums have just gotta be louder than the guitarist thinks is a good idea (in fact, I've reached the grudging conclusion that for "rocking rock" the drums, then the bass, and then the vocals, are all more important than the instrument I've been playing for years!!)

And a 61 Reissue in Heritage Cherry.... sigh... I've nearly bought one a couple of times over the last year or two (I daren't try one until I'm prepared to actually buy!). Really I'm a strat man though, so my main guitars are down that path... I've got a nice example of a Faded SG Special that does stirling work when the old humbuckers are needed though :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1