A Hundred and Twenty Pound - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, February 11, 2011, 02:30:01 PM

Blooby

What a great vocal performance. And a really well orchestrated tune.  I was leaning forward into the speakers, awaiting the next section eagerly.  Upright bass, you say?  Like the Knopflerish tone on the solo as well.

Great stuff.

Blooby

Flash Harry

This is epic! Incredibly good playing, programming and production. It's worthy of any monster prog!

How long did you work on this? It's fabulous.

I was looking at an electric upright, which one did you get?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Great stuff Andy, as always a completely awesome track with stunning production. I definitely think you nailed Knopfler for the guitar solo, and the upright bass gives a wonderful rich feel to the track. This, coupled with the organs, give it an almost analogue/tapey feel and adds to the 70s/80s aura of the track. The vocals are superb as always, spot on and really well recorded.

Another fantastic track which sounds a bit like a musical economic treatise on the velocity of money. Could you post the full lyrics, I can only make out some of them?

I think the biggest positive from me is that although it is a long track, it just whizzes by when you play it. I've had it looping for a while now and it doesn't feel like a "long" track at all. Wonderful.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Quote from: Ferryman on February 14, 2011, 04:29:14 AM... sounds a bit like a musical economic treatise on the velocity of money. Could you post the full lyrics, I can only make out some of them?

:D

That's quite amusing, Nigel, or it is now anyway, 16-17 years on.

Yes it does sound like that, and money was a little of the driving force behind it all at the time... but I wrote it as a debate between two suicides (and various other parties involved - the "who is talking when" in the lyrics is slightly confused, and I reasoned this was actually a good thing for what I was trying to represent - a desparate conversation in one person's head)... One of the suicides is the singer, the other one is talking to him from beyond the grave via the note left with the money. In my mind, the "Where is the money that I gave you" voice is someone else entirely, one of the people applying some of the stress, it's just a quick interjection though ("Gaze deep into the water" is back to a narrator almost).

It was very theraputic writing it. The alternative at the time was jumping in the river myself.

Although the "you can buy your way out if you've got the money you came in with" didn't have a direct literal relevance to my situation, it was kind of the answer for me: There is an alternative way out, and you've got the resources for it... so you don't have to use the "no alternatives" solution. (Importantly, which solution is which doesn't really matter - the message I got out of it was "don't die", but I'm equally happy if "buying your way out" means dying. As a listener myself all this time later, I'm happy to believe that "I have it here, a hundred and twenty pound" is the immediate precursor to his turning away and walking home or equally as a precursor to his slipping into the water)

HOWEVER! If none of this is what comes across to the listener, I not at all worried, it seems to be a story that tells itself in your own head, and the writer shouldn't be too fussed whether one person's story is exactly the same as another's...

I'm at work at the moment... I'll try and get the lyrics sorted this evening and respond to some other things I've spotted above, as well.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Greeny

My goodness, this is a bit special! Powerful and subtle in equal measure, with some incredible changes that take the listener on a real journey of discovery. Every part of the instrumentation is beautifully performed and mixed. It has a huge, epic storytelling quality - rock opera / musical territory for sure. I agree with Sandy that there are some definite parallels with 'Tommy' in this. And that vocal is delivered with real skill and conviction. It's impossible to find fault or offer any constructive criticism, because it's as perfect as it could be. Onto listen number 2....

AndyR

Here's the lyrics:

=================================
A Hundred and Twenty Pound - A A J Russe
=================================

Sewn into the lining of an overcoat I found
There was the princely sum
Of a hundred and twenty pound
Beside this welcome windfall there came a crumpled note -
Bear with me stranger
And I promise my overcoat

I watched the burning candle from seven through to eight
I tried to call the office
But it was way too late
I listened for the rolling of thunder in the hills
The tell-tale flash of lightning
But everything was still

And you can buy your way out
If you've got the money you came in with
Yeah you can buy your way out

Where is the money that I gave you?
Your inheritance?
You spend it all on contracts
With people who make no sense
Gaze deep into the water
Underneath the arch
That's where you saw the body
And now you understand in part

You won't forget easily
The pale and bloated face of he who saved you
You won't forget easily
The contents of the crumpled note he left you
'Cause where you're going he has been
He's written back to say he's seen the queen
Of despair

You noticed how emphatically
He pointed out the bitch does not care

She will whisper in your ear
Slip into the water dear
Then the sods can keep their overdraft
Your wife and kids are catered for
They're better off with you no more
Slip into the water dear with me
We'll go swimming
It's not cold
With me you never will grow old
Sleep with me
We'll have some fun

And you read how emphatically
He warns you how despair does lie to one
And how her tale of giving up
Can almost sound as sweet as having won

Money in and money out
Management buy-out
Or should I wait for the earn-out?
Lord my hands are tied

Protect the mortgages
Keep up endowment policies
My pensions will be no use to me
If I decide to die

Round and round no money goes
Round and round and I don't know
Round and round and so it goes
Round and round and round and round and round

And you can buy your way out

I have it here
A hundred and twenty pound

(26th March 1994)
=================

Cheery little bugger, isn't it? :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

des0free

Epic is right, and pro production all around.  I think an entire Broadway musical could be built around this.  On the one hand it sounds like modern Broadway rock, on the other hand this also has a bit of old Genesis, Peter Gabriel era, to it.  You could put white powder on your face, dress up as a purple bulgy mushroom, and jump around your living room while playing this.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

daveyboy

Wow, this is a bit special!!
Wonderfully crafted song, the time and effort that must have gone into this sure got its reward.
One of them songs that needs a few listens to take in the full magnitude of it all.
In fact thats what I am going to do now :)

Songcrafting at its best, this must have given you some sleepless nights but is so worth it. I couldn't get near the production work on this. A definite download for when I get home.............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Kenny B

Whoa ... this is EPIC ( Did ten people already say this?)
Tremendous production.

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR