A Hundred and Twenty Pound - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, February 11, 2011, 02:30:01 PM

Tangled Wires

An AndyR post is always a treat, and always guarantees supreme quality.

This is a colossal piece of work, all cleverly pieced together and love the way it rises and falls throughout...real prog feel to my ears.

I can't single out anything that is outstanding, because it all bloody is, once again you keep setting the bar higher in terms of song writing, performance and production.

Six minutes passes very quickly when you get engrossed in something as fantastic as this!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

stoman

I'm running out of words to describe how impressive your music is, Andy. This is another masterpiece.

Regards,
  Steffen

hooper

Wow!  What a pleasure to be able to sit back and listen to a new work that has been so carefully put together.  You manage to keep control of it all the way through with great performances on all the parts.  Everything has got great tone and clarity.  A very believable drum track too. Congratulations for this accomplishment! 
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Thanks folks :)

Interesting hearing the various influences mentioned - most of them have been nailed now.

Meatloaf I couldn't hear at all, but then the missus went "yeah, it's like something off of Bat Out of Hell in places" - and I realised you guys meant the Jim Steinman arrangement etc... yeah it is a bit like that in places, hadn't noticed.

But BB nailed it right on the head:

Jethro Tull. I was right in the middle of a huge Jethro Tull patch when I wrote this. Minstrel In The Gallery, Passion Play, Aqualung, and Pibroch would all have had a bit of a hand in what I was trying to achieve.

And then Rush. I didn't know a great deal about them in 1994, but for the last six months or so I have had the entire Rush catalogue cycling round on my personal stereo. I must have listened to them an hour and a half a day, five days a week, since last summer. On my way into work I might be thinking about what was recorded/etc last night and listening to Rush to figure out how they did it. You would have thought I'd have got bored with them by now, but everytime I try taking them off the player I end up putting them back on the next day.

On the guitar solo, I deliberately set out to get as "Mark Knopfler" as I could. I even tested all three of my main strats to find out which did it best. And then I worked the part really hard to make it as Knopflery as possible (1st or 2nd Dire Straits album). I went for an MK approach originally because on later Jethro Tull, Martin Barre's playing sounds increasingly Dire Straits like (as Ian Anderson's voice deteriorated so all he could manage was MK-type singing).

If I could play flute it would have been on there! :D

Actually we were looking at flutes earlier today, thinking "how hard could it actually be?" I tend to stand on one leg at a mic-stand as well, always have, even before I knew he existed. I've even got the hair now (he hasn't!)... anyway, I decided against getting one at the moment - I'm still mastering this bass thing!

Anyways, glad you like it folks - I had fun doing it, even though it was hard work. I wasn't too sure that I'd got it right, that I'd managed to keep it interesting all the way through without overdoing it... and as usual, you post the minute you think you're done, and you're never quite sure whether it's any good anymore at that stage... But with a bit of re-assurance from the missus and you lot, it's really growing on me now, and I'm quite proud of the overblown thing that I put together back in 1994. Just writing it served it's purpose back then, but it's been 4 sheets of A4 I didn't know what to do with since then. Discovering that it actually works as a piece has been a bit of a bonus.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Quote from: AndyR on February 12, 2011, 08:55:22 AMThanks folks :)
And then Rush. ..... You would have thought I'd have got bored with them by now, but everytime I try taking them off the player I end up putting them back on the next day.
Thats my exact experience with Rush, I can't seem to ever get tired of them, the 1975 - 1982 era.......and I have been listening to them like this since 1975, growing up outside of Toronto Canada...they were our home band back then, they even played at our highschool.  I was listening to "Moving Pictures" just this morning in fact, they had a real infectious groove that is really hard to replicate.  One of those bands, you either love them or hate them, no inbetween with those guys.  I have a feeling they were influenced by "A Minstrel in the Gallery" era Tull, its just a theory of mine, no confirmation, but that album, especially the Title song, really seems to point the way to the Rush sound to my ears, and it came out in 1976, just when Rush were finding their sound.......You have crafted a song worthy of those influences for sure.  

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Gnasty

Quote from: Bluesberry on February 12, 2011, 09:42:10 AM
Quote from: AndyR on February 12, 2011, 08:55:22 AMThanks folks :)
And then Rush. ..... You would have thought I'd have got bored with them by now, but everytime I try taking them off the player I end up putting them back on the next day.
Thats my exact experience with Rush, I can't seem to ever get tired of them, the 1975 - 1982 era.......and I have been listening to them like this since 1975, growing up outside of Toronto Canada...they were our home band back then, they even played at our highschool.  I was listening to "Moving Pictures" just this morning in fact, they had a real infectious groove that is really hard to replicate.  One of those bands, you either love them or hate them, no inbetween with those guys.  I have a feeling they were influenced by "A Minstrel in the Gallery" era Tull, its just a theory of mine, no confirmation, but that album, especially the Title song, really seems to point the way to the Rush sound to my ears, and it came out in 1976, just when Rush were finding their sound.......You have crafted a song worthy of those influences for sure.  

If you want to know all about RUSH. Pick up Beyond the Lighted Stage and the making of 2112 and Moving Pictures. I have them on Blu-Ray...Freakin Awesome like Andy R`s song!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

cuthbert

Good lord, this is a monster...  :o

Can't add much praise above what's already been said, although I think I catch the Tull vibe a bit more than Rush.

Epic.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase