A Hundred and Twenty Pound - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, February 11, 2011, 02:30:01 PM

AndyR

This is why I've been quiet for a while.

Twas a bit of a struggle, but now I can play my new EDB and now I know how to make the BR1600's drums work (anyone else notice they've mixed the kits as a left-hand drummer! :D).

I wrote this in 1994, in a sort of cathartic "let's write a long rambling thing exploring some stuff that's been getting in the way a bit". I wrote it with just an acoustic and was quite impressed with the result at the time. But I never expected to ever do anything with it.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was looking for a song to do with the bass. I rootled around and found this amongst the more likely candidates. I showed Mrs R the lyrics and asked what she thought. She said "intriguing, what does it sound like?". So I played it to her.

"Give it a go" she said, condemning me to weeks of toil :D

It was my intention to record one guitar and the bass and then sing it to that. Somehow it just didn't have it like that though... So I went all "full-band" over it.

I haven't had to mix drums etc for ages, and it was a real trial. But I've learnt an awful lot while I was doing it.

Sewn into the lining of an overcoat I found
There was the princely sum
Of...

A Hundred and Twenty Pound
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
Vocals, Guitars, Organs, Electric Upright Bass and Drum Program - AndyR
Copyright (c) 2011 A A J Russe

Time:
0:00
Volume:

EDIT1: You can find the full lyrics in Reply Number 25.
EDIT2: 01/03/2011 I've just hosted the mp3 at alonetone.com. It no longer appears in "Play all my songs" above my avatar. Use the Alonetone button in my sig below to play or download any of my songs.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Gritter

Epic rock opera type stuff. Really well recorded and arranged. Tight and intense. I am only at 3:25, my lighter's in the air...my co-workers are giving me strange looks but I don't care. As it picks up again at 5:45 I go running through the never ending floor of my office like Fred Flintstones running by the same couch, table and lamp again and again...Tommy can you hear me? Meatloaf can you see me, feel me?

launched

Amazing, absolutely amazing!! I love those doubled chugging rhythm guitars and the bass work was perfect.

Another listen!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

What Sandy said...........and he said it so well........I'll be back for another listen and more thought provoking analysis.............right now all I can say is ..........I'll be back, too noisy to listen and think right now, son and friend playing the Wii...........can't hear the epic-ness properly.......Damn this is good.....do I hear some Wishbone ash there, perhaps.........such a grand song

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Wow...Monster of a song..I totally had Meatloaf in my head too. Very tight and high quality recording.

That bass sounds phenomenal and your vox sure keep us listening telling the whole story.

Freakin awesome man!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

SE

Another quality performance from one of the top songcrafters, epic song with great story telling, will download for further enjoyment love it, loved it!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Geir

I've been waiting for this since you said you started working on it. I saw you were posting a new song and was all exited. Downloaded it and put it on my mp3-player and went for a long walk.

Man that walk was easy !!!!

Epic prog combined with Knopfleresque lead guitar (from his good first album period). Shadows of Uriah Heep. Familiar chordprogressions ( D-C-G ?) combined with original twists and modulations (F-G-Bb-C-.....D ?) ... and syncopations and just fantabulous vocals !!!

And that brave but oh so brilliant naked ending !!!

This is a song I'm gonna listen to many many times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

OK, quite time finally......lets see what we have here............its proggy, its English folky, its jazzy (must be the bass), its syncopated which gives a proggy feel, I love the strat solo, punchy and really moving, its orchestral..... without sounding overblown....a little flute and it would sound Jethro Tullish, maybe........its dynamic.  crystal clear recording, hats off for the recording and mastering, very good job there......love the organ stabs here and there, really fills out the sound good, without overpowering.........A Minstrel in the Gallery kinda girth............girth, thats it, this has real girth......I keep hearing snatches that remind me of Rush..............I'll be back for another listen later on.......

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Very impressive! Your voice reminds me of Chuck Negron (Three Dog Night) and Ian Gillan (especially from the "Jesus Christ Superstar" soundtrack).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Redler

Superb work, Andy! Great tune and performing. The drums sounds real and you have done fine job on programming! Just a fabulous post...

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR