Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

scottieD

Geddy Lee, John Paul Jones, John McVie, Paul McCartney, Steve Harris ( circa 1983 ), Phil Lynott...

recorder
Boss BR-800
   Okay to cover...not sure why you'd want to though...

Bluesberry

Quote from: henwrench on February 09, 2011, 06:08:52 AMIn no particular order...
      James Jamerson (Tamala Motown session bassist - played on virtually all Motown hits)
Good God, I can't believe nobody mentioned Jamerson until now.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

henwrench

Quote from: Bluesberry on February 09, 2011, 07:34:33 AM
Quote from: henwrench on February 09, 2011, 06:08:52 AMIn no particular order...
      James Jamerson (Tamala Motown session bassist - played on virtually all Motown hits)
Good God, I can't believe nobody mentioned Jamerson until now.

Jamerson is noted for expanding the role of the bass in popular music, which until that time largely consisted of root notes, fifths and simple repetitive patterns. By contrast, many of Jamerson's bass lines for Motown were more melodic, more syncopated, and more improvisational than had been heard before. His bass playing was considered an integral part of the "Motown Sound". He transcended the standard "bass line" and created a duet with the singer. Prominent bassists who have claimed Jamerson as a primary influence include James Brown's Bernard Odum, Anthony Jackson, Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Bernard Edwards, Jason Newsted, Jaco Pastorius, John Patitucci, John Paul Jones, Billy Sheehan, Geddy Lee, Victor Wooten, Paul McCartney, Mike Mills and henwrench.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

Actually a guy named Sting is not bad considering the lead vocals he does while playing bass!

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gritter on February 09, 2011, 09:28:22 AMActually a guy named Sting is not bad considering the lead vocals is does while playing bass!
Now you are trying to stir things up aren't you

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

dasilvasings

I don't care about slappers and tappers (no pun intendend)! Fav bassist is Kim Deal. If it wasn't her, I would never picked the bass and wouldn't be here.

And by the way, a kind word to all the anonymous studio bassists that really surprise us from time to time.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

QuoteNow you are trying to stir things up aren't you

Me? never!

Bassists so good that they don't have to show off their talent in public:

Jemaine Clement (Flight Of The Conchords)
Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)
Ray Manzarek's left hand (The Doors)
Adam Yauch (Beastie Boys)
Andy Metcalfe (Egyptians)

and of course Kim Deal rocks!