Best Guitarist

Started by Migs, February 06, 2011, 09:09:34 PM

Saijinn Maas

I see the problem... It's a Rolling Stone list! They never get shit right! Too many obvious omissions, and way too many people on this list that should not be anywhere near the TOP 100 of all time. :/ Laughable really...

Gu Djin

It just goes to show how silly lists of this kind are!  It might be more sensible to list the guitarists who have influenced a particular genre, but even then to list them in order makes no sense at al as many of the top guitarists were building on others innovation et..

Where would you place Django, Julian Bream, Micheal Hedges, and the many brilliant country style players I've listened to over the years.  And influential anybody not heard of Bert Weedon.

And my own particular favourite is Joe Brown - he was playing Hava Nagila behind his head before Jimi burnt his first Strat, and was certainly the player who made me want to learn to play rather than listen.

Noww BB have I broken enough now.
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Greeny

Quote from: Gu Djin on February 07, 2011, 09:51:22 AManybody not heard of Bert Weedon.

Bert Weedon's 'teach yourself guitar' book was where I learned my first basic chords, so I'm one of the many thousands who owe him some acknowledgement.

Gnasty

Absolute BULLOCKS this list is!!! Who makes this crap?

I tend to do the apple & orange thing when it comes to great guitarists or any category in life but I can name so many you haven`t heard of that aren`t on here.

If i have to voice my opinion Kurt Cobain should not be on here. He was a rhythm guitar player. A songwriting guitar player. What is the criteria here?

One thing i have to notice is SRV who is one of my faves, don`t get me wrong but his main influence was Albert King who is not on the list. Without Albert King, there is no SRV.

Anyways we all have influences and genres and if we mash them together and dig deep it is what makes our own and these great guitarists styles. That is all i have to say.

One last thing!!

Notables...Alex Lifeson??
              Al De meola
              Alex Skolnick
              Michael Shenker
              Frank Gambale
              Marty Friedman
              Jason Becker
              Matthias Jabs

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Satchwood

And where is Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, George Lynch, John Petrucci, & Paul Gilbert?
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Tangled Wires

Where were Tommy Satchwood, Eric Gnasty and Geir in that list?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Burtog

Steve Lukather
Paul Weller

and as previously mentioned Johnny Marr is a criminal oversite.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Burtog

....................forgot this one, I'm not into listening to 'fret-wanking' guitarists anymore but Nuno Bettencourt was the guitarist from Extreme, a very talented chap.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Migs

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231

Just about every comment on their website says they must have been on crack when they compiled the list.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

daveyboy

Hendrix always seems a given to be No.1 of any of this type of list, which I can totally understand.
However, as has been pointed out, the order below that, and the omissions, are laughable.