Doesn't using a compressor train you to be a sloppy player?

Started by FuzzFace, November 21, 2008, 01:57:40 PM

beleg

I am not sure, but I found this article on compression and the "loudness war" very interesting. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

Oldrottenhead

i learned how to be a sloppy player with no fx whatsoever.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

This is a whole can of worms.

Modern music and modern music reproduction kit (unless you pay a lot of money) seems to like to have everything slammed into a compressor/limiter (listen to just about anything by Eric Prydz) and a homogenous loudness seems to be the order of the day.

Listen to a piece of my favourite music, Appalachian Spring - and some of the passages are lost on modern kit.

One reason I like a single instrument/single voice is because you can hear the dynamics of the playing and the singing.

I use a compressor with my bass because I have  to compete with the rest of the instrumentation and the decay of the played note is far more controllable with a compressor.

A friend of mine (yes I have one) paid nine grand for a pair of speakers, and thats nine grand sterling. You don't notice how good they are until you hear someone like Lizz Wright singing with a guitar, acoustic bass and just a pair of floor toms as percussion. Have a listen to 'A taste of Honey'. Sublime.
You can hear the sound that the percussionist makes as he drags his hand across the skins.

So no, I don't think that this is true, there are other factors that are found in modern recordings/techniques that make for sloppy play.

My excuse is lack of practice.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

I think compression can help hide / patch up little inconsistencies and make things sound bit more professional, but it'll never hide the fact that a particular song or piece of music is just plain bad. It's the quality of the songwriting rather than the sound that is always the bottom line for me.

I'm not a fan of compression myself, and rarely feel the need to go down that route. When it comes to acoustic-based music, I always hanker after a very pure, 'live' sound - easier said than done sometimes.

And I like a little 'sloppiness'. It gives music some humanity. Giving it a bland, homogenous sheen just leaves me cold...

FuzzFace

I agree with Flash Harry's comment that it's good for bass, or anything that I would consider "supporting" sounds.  Because yes a certain level of sloppiness is actually desirable, but not to the point where tracks are competing for attention, à la Deep Purple "Can we get everything louder than everything else?"

guitarron

when i used to play country, i'd use a boss cs1 comp pedal on the clean tele to help keep the notes from dying out-nothing like playing clean to expose sloppiness-compressor or not
sometimes comp is a necessary evil sometimes-depends on how it's being used

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder