In your opinion, what is the best value in terms of an inexpensive bass guitar?

Started by FuzzFace, November 21, 2008, 12:51:07 PM

Flash Harry

I have an Aria Pro II IGB Integra, an Epiphone and a Vintage Ernie Ball Music Man copy.

The Aria I bought for £80 second hand and I had a guitar tech tweak it for me which cost me £20 and made it so much more playable. The Epiphone cost £150 new and is a nice rich bass, the Vintage cost about the same and is a nice playable guitar.

Of the three, I would miss the Aria most. It's the nicest to play, has a really lively tone, a lovely neck and it's my favourite bass.

Having said that Fender Squire have Precision and Jazz offerings at competitive prices.

I would play lots of them and see which one feels right, and then before you buy, play different guitars of the model you choose.

There are differences in feel and tone and intonation even in machined instruments and a good inexpensive guitar can be a better buy than  a poor mid priced guitar.

The main thing is that you have to like playing it. If it feels like a plank of wood you won't want to pick it up.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

madrab

Keep an open mind if you want to make a bargain.
I have a Vester that's very good and very cheap (less than 60 €). I use
reviews.harmony-central.com
to check guitars that catch my interest. When you want to go cheap, don't think too much about the pickups, you can get new ones at http://store.guitarfetish.com/ or try toneriders.