Literally, a pain in the neck...

Started by indierik, November 20, 2008, 03:41:30 PM

Greeny

Quote from: oldrottenhead on November 21, 2008, 06:27:15 AMwhat did you guys think of the scottish version "pain in the ass"

I love it and prefer it. Gives it an added edge. But that's just me  :)

indierik

And I'm getting lots of Echo and the Bunnymen vibes from this. Which is a very good thing  :)

[/quote]

Wow! Quite the chain of events since I posted this last night. As for the quote on Echo and the Bunnymen vibe... thats exactly what I heard in it as I was writing. Thanks, thats a huge compliment for me as I am a big fan!!!

ORH, as always I love the lyrics and the vox, especially on your first attempt, I hear the U2 whichita mentioned especially in the verse " Something that I have to do is keeping me alive". Bravo, you are brilliant! I think this thing is shaping up very nicely!! If only we could get together, in one room, and finish it. If we where in this room together I think we would have more individual imput and the critic would come out in each of us.

So my first thought is to redo the changes, on my part, so it is a bit more lyrically conducive. However, I do like all the changes, so perhaps I should just draw out the song and just duplicate a particular part again and put it somewhere in the middle or near the end making it a five or six minute long song??? Also, and perhaps it's just selfishness so I can hear myself play ::), but I'd like to see a few more breaks in the lyrics, perhaps within the changes or at the beginning or the end of the song. I like songs with long musical intros or long musical endings, it allows me time to get a good feeling for the song... but, again, perhaps it's because I don't have the lyrical talent or ability to sing, therefore, I focus on the music.

Writing a song is a lot of work, especially if your a perfectionist. And seeing as we don't have any potential record deals on the line or live shows to prepare for I can be very lazy about completing it.

I do like the idea of the documentary! I think this site is ahead of it's time. I can see the future of music and it's musical "globalization", if you will, where people collaborate on music like we do all over the world. What an interesting story for a band that would be, a band that met on-line and started collaborating like we do. Think about how limiting it is to try and put together a band with people from your own surrounding area alone. hmmmmmmm.

lets keep working on this. I see a lot of potential. I'm still a bit f'@#$ed up, plus I'm heading out of town for three days, so I'll have to wait on my part. And I hope my neck (Trapezoid) is a 100% by then or I'm gonna have to go see a Chiropractor.   
Without music, life would be a mistake.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Oldrottenhead

a third attempt and tweak on the vox/lyrics coming shortly. i think this is the best take, i turned the sns down on the internal mic to avoid peaking, and i think lyrics are now clearer and performane too , accent is somewhere between boston and glasgow still near glasgow tho.
watch this space
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

NECK4_02
Time:
0:00
Volume:
back to being called pain in the neck.
here are the new lyrics, not many changes  from 1st two takes.

pain in the neck

i dont know why it happens
i only know it does
i get so wrapped up in one thing
i cant see nothing else

i try to paint a picture
or reproduce a sound
im searching for the lost chord
im not stopping till its found

i got a pain in my neck
i got a pain in my back
i got a pain in my fingers
i got a pain in my head
i got a pain in my eyeballs
im just a pain in the neck
lets go

at times the words elude me
they dont trip of my tongue
sometimes theyre buried so deep
i dont think theyll ever come

sometimes you can find them
when you dont even try
theyre sitting there in front of you
before your very eyes

its burning up inside me
ive gotta let it out
i think its something primal
that you cant survive without

call it self expression
call it what you like
its something that i have to do
its keeping me alive

its something that i have to do
its keeping me alive

i dont know why it happens
i only know it does
i get so wrapped up in one thing
i cant see nothing else

i try to paint a picture
or reproduce a sound
im searching for the lost chord
im not stopping till its found

i got a pain in my neck
i got a pain in my back
i got a pain in my fingers
i got a pain in my head
i got a pain in my eyeballs
im just a pain in the neck
lets go
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

A great take ORH.

I'm not sure when I will get a chance to re-do the bass. I'll send you the bass track as soon as i have it.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

174. pain in the neck LETSGO02(128Kbps)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
flash redid the bass, i sampled the first 1.5 secs of the intro into my steam driven casio sk5 sampler, looped it and played it an octave higher on the same key ad nauseum, personaly i think this iseffing awesome and i am sober, for now. here it is.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

That "lost chord" thing is brilliant.  I guess that is what we are all searching for, perfection through musical expression.  We we ever get there.  Maybe you ORH will reach that before the rest of us.  Give us the report when you get there.  Great sounding song you guys have cooked up there.  I hear Peter gabriel especially in the lyrics and sound of the vox, but then again I always hear Gabriel in your stuff ORH. And was that Tony Levin playing bass?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

QuoteAnd was that Tony Levin playing bass?
flash harry is gonna love that cos he thinks he can improve on the last version.

QuoteThat "lost chord" thing is brilliant.  I guess that is what we are all searching for, perfection through musical expression.
i played the song to some friends they like it but dont get it. i think its one for the songwriters.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Rather pukka don't you think?

I still think the bass needs a bit of a tweak......
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

redennis3

I can see where all this would be addictive ;D
We Bend the Wood, So You Can Bend the Strings- Ennis Guitars