Literally, a pain in the neck...

Started by indierik, November 20, 2008, 03:41:30 PM

indierik

T12V2_09
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I've been working on this new piece, of which I have no title for, of which has caused me much frustration, of which has actually caused me physical pain (hunched over my micro BR with my heavy hollow body guitar strapped around my neck for days on end.. adding parts.... deleting parts, caused me to have semi-severe back and neck pain for the past two weeks. To get rid of this persisting pain I've had a professional massage and started taken yoga for the first time in my life), I'm feeling much better now, but I have decided to post it anyways, even though, I think it needs more work. There are three guitar parts and keys. see what you think.

thanks guys,

Erik

the final version

Time:
Volume:

Without music, life would be a mistake.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Flash Harry

T34V8_08
Time:
Volume:
Erik,

this is a real burner with a fluid, infectious, pounding beat and loads of interesting stuff going on.

I have added a bit if you don't mind, it's a bit rough and ready, I can do it again if you like it, but this time taking longer to learn your piece and following the changes better.

Nothing that is worth doing is easy, a bit of pain is the way of things:

This is Fantastic Stuff!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

indierik

Flash, your compliments are greatly appreciated my friend! As I said I worked very hard on this piece and suffered some consequences, nothing like the pain and suffering Michelangelo went through after painting the fresco's of the Sistine Chapel, but I can imagine now how he must have felt.

I like the bass you've added, especially the beginning, it is a bit rough but I really like the direction you're going with it. If you don't mind I'd love you to redo it. Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to suggest you try a less deep tone, it's a touch too heavy for the piece. Anyways, go for it, have fun, thats what this site is all about as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again!!!!!!! 
-Friedrich Nietzsche

indierik

That last message gave me a couple of title ideas:

1. Pain in the Fresco

2. The (pain and) suffering of Michelangelo (I like this but it sounds too dark for this uplifting piece of music. what do you think?)

3. Imaginary pain (now I'm just brain storming)

4. Imaginary bliss

5. Imagelo

6. Pathetically empathetic

7. Desperate for someone, anyone, to find genius in my work which will just reinforce my own beliefs that I am better than I think I am, or not.

8. I'm the funniest person i know.

9. these are no longer title ideas, just jokes.

10. Pigtails are wings for little girls.

11. I have a ham sandwich in my crotch.

12. Yes, I know I'm strange, but so am I.

12 and a half. Xenophobia and Agoraphobia travel to Afghanistan. 
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Oldrottenhead

APAIN_01
Time:
Volume:
hi just mastering whats now called "a pain in the neck" is about song writing/self expression/tortured artist/pain in the ass/tunnel vision.
give me 5 mins and i'll post it.

rik great stuff, flash great bass, the words just flowed outta me
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

ORH, I heard this last night and I picked up my bass about midnight. I just knew that you'd spark off it.
I was bleary eyed and stumbling around my fretboard by the time I'd got the measure. I just had to post it before I turned in.

I'm going to re-do it later I think, depending on what my comitments are this evening.

I can't wait for the lyrics and the vox track.

I'll have to stop working and sit here on the edge of my seat until you do.

** Update!

You posted the vox in an update! sneaky or what!

Cracking stuff.
I'm sure that people send you their tracks weeks before any of the rest of us get to hear them and then you spend nights and nights of working till the wee small hours crafting the vocals and the lyrics until you get them just right and then you wait for the first public posing and then Whammo! you chuck in a completed lyric like you just did it.  You can't fox me!
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

QuoteCracking stuff.
I'm sure that people send you their tracks weeks before any of the rest of us get to hear them and then you spend nights and nights of working till the wee small hours crafting the vocals and the lyrics until you get them just right and then you wait for the first public posing and then Whammo! you chuck in a completed lyric like you just did it.  You can't fox me!
i heard the post last night like you before i went to bed, but at the time didnt think a lyric was feasible, as tune didnt have the usual verse verse chorus verse thing going on, then i listened to version with your bass this morning over my cornflakes and changed my mind, reading riks post regarding his trials and tribulations of composing the tune informed the lyric which came very quickly. got back fromthe schooll run put it on my mbr and between 9 am and 10am gmt lyric was done, like ive said somewhere before when you have good bricks and mortar to work with you can make something of it.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

if you and rik are gonna redo it, i'll sing it again, might tweak the lyrics again changing from pain in the neck to pain in the ass. cos when im involved in a song thats what im like, the song gets my total attention much to the annoyance of my wife and kids.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

I'm going to re-do the bass. Erik wants a lighter tone, and I need to tidy up my playing, some of the runs are not right and I have missed hitting the changes.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

This is a top-notch, bloody brilliant collaboration. Love the guitars, and as always, ORH gets the interpretation spot on.

I love the way the right people are finding the right outlets for their talent on here. It's pushing the standard up and up, which can only be a good thing for everyone. Makes me want to pack my job in and do musical collaborations all day long!

And I'm getting lots of Echo and the Bunnymen vibes from this. Which is a very good thing  :)