Modern Music........ good/bad?

Started by Burtog, January 23, 2011, 08:51:39 AM

AndyR

Very, very interesting thread this... I've been following it closely during my hurried lunchbreaks over the last few days.

I agree with most of what everyone says... except for one thing... I think it's ALL good - even the stuff I personally dislike or loathe :D

If yer kids/nephews/nieces are bopping away to something, along with all the other folks their age, then the people making and marketing it are doing something right... even if I think it's complete tosh and utterly beneath me (and I do! :D).

Similarly, I personally find the output of some of the established artistes from the good ole days, some of whom are probably revered as huge talents by many on here, as tosh that is almost as complete as the current "wotever"...

It's ALL good, every single bit of it. But luckily I'm not required to listen all of it or, indeed, any part of it I don't want to.

Now I've got that out of the way - yep, some modern stuff is utter PANTS!!! How on earth can sizable numbers of young-uns be uneducated enough to think that they're enjoying listening to it? What is the world coming to etc... ;D

Folks, we're just getting old... and those that are young, you're getting old before your time...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Gritter

QuoteFolks, we're just getting old... and those that are young, you're getting old before your time...

Using expressions like "tosh" and "pants" is a dead giveaway!  ;)

henwrench

Great thread, but like those cartoons where Garfield is removed, lets lose the 'Modern'.                          Hence, Music..... good/bad?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Burtog

Check out this 'modern' band, I really like them. They only seem to have an ep out at present tho.
.............so many influences here, I guess music goes full circle. You'd never hear them on the radio tho, shame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNDtpoLfM9U
recorder
Boss BR-800

Blooby

I think the so-called dearth of contemporary "good" music is a myth.  As we get older, our lives are busier. Seems I hardly have time to even lurk here these days (and me with no kids!), so seeking out something beyond the pabulum that the (now archaic) record(?) companies promote/shove down our throats through mass media takes time and effort. I still buy my guitar rags, Classic Rock, and even (gasp/chuckle) Prog Rock magazines, and I'm exposed to a fair amount of younger bands from the (albeit niche) festivals I attend. Were it not for those avenues, I suppose the Internet would be my only avenue as my musical buddies from the past have different priorities these days. Places like YouTube have leveled the playing field so far as access goes.  I can't say we all share the same tastes here, but when somebody recommends a artist to me from this site, I give them a whirl.  I believe I've discovered a few bands I actively listen to that way.

I do the miss the time, though, when recording was more about capturing a great moment as opposed to mutitrack recording, cutting and pasting, auto-tuning, time-stretching, midi clocks, etc. While I'm a fan of producing a great product (perhaps even with slick production), I'd probably prefer to hear Link Wray's "Rumble" in most cases. Perhaps that's why I'm such a live show slut even now.

Having said all this, maybe I'm being a hypocrite. While I still get discs and CD's from an occasional contemporary band (usually in the jazz realm), I derive the vast majority of my listening pleasure from bands and artists who are in their 50's and beyond.  Hippies used to say, "Don't trust anyone over 30." I might think in opposing terms to this when it comes to music.

Oh, and I completely agree over the "loss" of listening to whole albums, which is a shame.  It seems like buying and listening to an album was much more an event in my youth, especially with those fold-out doubles (Hell, I didn't even smoke pot, so I could never truly exploit the true reason behind the engineering of the gatefold sleeve).  Between my multiple MP3 players and car stereo that accepts jump drives, my musical attention deficit disorder is in full bloom.  Maybe if Roger Dean did a new CD cover, and I bought a monocle or opera glasses...

Blooby

danieldesete

Quote from: Burtog on January 29, 2011, 05:52:03 AMCheck out this 'modern' band, I really like them. They only seem to have an ep out at present tho.
.............so many influences here, I guess music goes full circle. You'd never hear them on the radio tho, shame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNDtpoLfM9U
what's that guitar, with all the knobs ? Russian maybe?
hou hou ha ha

64Guitars

Quote from: danieldesete on January 30, 2011, 07:17:32 AMwhat's that guitar, with all the knobs ? Russian maybe?

Looks like an Airline 3P-DLX.

Airline guitars were originally made in the United States but are now being reissued by Eastwood Guitars, a Canadian company in Georgetown, Ontario. They make some very cool "retro" guitars.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

danieldesete

Looks like an airplane indeed. Ide love to try one. Thanks, you know them all 8)
hou hou ha ha

s.w.goatlips

And speaking of airplanes, I was listening to good ole Jefferson Airplane in my car yesterday. In the liner notes there is a quote from centuries ago about how music is both a creation and a reaction to/of its time, and I think this is very true.
I have a sneaking suspicion that money is more than ever a big influence/factor in what is seen to be "popular culture". Think X factor, the Idol franchise etc. I also think that music has also become a very disposable part of our throw away society which is sort of sad.
Frustration is my middle name.

64Guitars

Quote from: s.w.goatlips on January 30, 2011, 05:06:18 PMI also think that music has also become a very disposable part of our throw away society which is sort of sad.

That's a good point. There's so much music available now that I think there's a tendency to listen to a song once or twice then move on to the next one. When I was younger, buying a new album was something special and it would last me weeks or even months because I didn't have the money to buy another. So I'd listen to the same small collection of albums over and over, really getting to know them. And they left a lasting impression. But now it seems that we don't listen to music long enough for it to make any impression. We just move on to something else. It's kind of like flipping through the channels on the television and not really watching anything. We think, "maybe there's something better on the next channel". Perhaps that's part of the reason that many of us can't get into modern music. To use another TV analogy, "there's 150 channels and nothing on". Maybe we were better off when we didn't have so many choices in what we could listen to.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website