Modern Music........ good/bad?

Started by Burtog, January 23, 2011, 08:51:39 AM

Burtog

At a time when modern (pop/chart) music generally is a load of pants what recent bands are people listening to?

2 bands I've got into over the last couple of years are Fleet Foxes and a little known band called First Aid Kit from Sweden, check them out. Where do you look to find new sounds these days?
recorder
Boss BR-800

danieldesete

hou hou ha ha

Oldrottenhead

apart from stuff in the charts and lets face it  the top twenty has always been pretty rubbish. i am of the opinion that each year music gets better and better, there are tons of great bands out there, and i have always had the opinion that "today" is the best time ever for new music and new bands.  i get really irked when some of my friends say things like , modern bands are rubbish not as good as in our day. that is a lot of tosh. currently when i am not trying to keep up with the posts here, i am listening too i am kloot, antony and the johnsons,caribou,  eels, great lake swimmers, steve mason, the pictish trail, the twiight sad and villagers among many others.

it's never been better, but i said that yesterday and the day before that, cant wait till tomorrow.
to quote peter hammill "i want the future now"
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

chip withrow

There is modern pop chart music, and then there is modern off-the-beaten path music, and then there's, well, lots of stuff in between. Some good and some bad in all genres.
I have heard some good pop chart/mainstream music lately: Florence + the Machine (around for a while, I think, but then came the Eat Pray Love movie ...), Cee Lo Green, and Katy Perry's "Firework," which I think is a brilliant piece of pop.
And there are some old-timers who put out consistently fresh music: Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Neil Young, to name but a few. Not on the pop charts like they were in the 70s and 80s, but still vital.
I do like to go to YouTube and Pandora for music I otherwise might not have heard - that's how I discovered Carolina Chocolate Drops, Abigail Washburn, and Mountain Goats.
I've been teaching for many years, and every once in a while my students will turn me on to something. That's how I found out about Florence a few years back, and that's how I heard Green Day many years ago.
And last but not least, I would stack up the musicians I have heard here and through the FAWM and 50/90 challenges against just about anyone for original, quality listening.

Burtog

Well from the replies already I've got some more listening to do.......brillaint!

I enjoy searching for new bands on you tube and have found some I really like but just wish radio was geared up to give us a broader spectrum of quality music. DAB is great but someone needs to put their neck out and develop stations with a broader range of music, or am I not looking hard enough??

New Fleet foxes album due out soon I beleive, hope its good!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

you should check out bbcradio6music http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/  really promotes good new music and pretty much steer clear of comercial pap.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Sadly I'm stuck in the past. When I was playing/gigging I purposely listened to no one so my style wouldn't become like anyone else. What a conceited fuck I was, but on the plus side I can now listen to a whole world of music that is new. I have joined several sites, Soundclick and Soundcloud but I still come back to this site because it never fails to amaze me how much talent there is in such a relatively small community.   Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

OsCKilO

I only listen to songcrafters or whatever is on the "What are you listening to now" thread...

Other than that I only listen to live music at the Accoustic night i run and the others I come across...

Quote from: Willie Wendon on January 23, 2011, 01:03:58 PMWhen I was playing/gigging I purposely listened to no one so my style wouldn't become like anyone else.

I do that now!!!  lol!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Greeny

I generally stopped buying 'new' music at least 10 years ago. All my 'music' time is now spent on writing / recording my own songs or listening to the fantastic range of stuff on here. I hear some good bits and pieces from time to time on TV / radio, but there's not many bands who have grabbed my attention enough to make me want their albums. There's an awful lot of crap out there right now. I always thought the brainless masses had no musical taste whatsoever, but the whole of this 'x-factor' generation seem to have stooped to a new level of stupidity and ignorance. Everything seems to be written to a template. For example, in the UK, every single TV advert seems to be soundtracked by some drippy, fey, folky female singing like a 5 year old retard with a put-on accent.

Oh Christ... I've just become my Dad!

Kenneth

Quote from: Greeny on January 24, 2011, 02:24:09 AMI hear some good bits and pieces from time to time on TV / radio, but there's not many bands who have grabbed my attention enough to make me want their albums. There's an awful lot of crap out there right now.

... the whole of this 'x-factor' generation seem to have stooped to a new level of stupidity and ignorance. Everything seems to be written to a template.

... I've just become my Dad!
I could have written your post! Oh, I agree 100%. We took a little road trip yesterday, listened to my teenagers music the entire day, ..it's all the same! That one beat bassdrum, singing about "DA CLUB"!
Ok I admit the songs I make/ listen to can be crap, but at least it has variety! And yes , I have become a critical cynic just like my Dad, but now I see why he was the way he was.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman