'Central Casting' - Original by Ted for EMU fest

Started by Ted, January 21, 2011, 01:05:31 PM

StephenM

Quote from: Gritter on January 28, 2011, 10:38:41 AM
QuoteSo I reckon maybe I was exposed to "real" reggae a bit before it was infused by some mainstream rock acts like 10cc.

I think probably 10cc heard some "real" Reggae before recording Dreadlock Holiday as well. The Police heard some "real" Reggae, Paul Simon did, UB40 (maybe  ;))...I really don't hear Dire Straits though. For some reason Dire Straits are the most referenced band on this site next to the Beatles. I don't get it.

Having said that, you do sound like a pop or rock act doing Reggae. There's nothing wrong with that. I listen to a lot of Roots Reggae too. But we are what we are and this is a cool song regardless of style or genre.
Quote from: Gritter on January 28, 2011, 10:38:41 AMFor some reason Dire Straits are the most referenced band on this site next to the Beatles. I don't get it.

I am way down stream of this comment but I do think that it is true... I read alot of comments and Dire Straits is referenced alot.. I have a couple of good ideas why.  The first is not true on this song here but I think it is because the way Mark Knopfler sings, his accents are somewhat common to folks who come from similar areas of the world... For example I have often heard Phil Lynott and Mark Knopfler in Mike S vocals.... Phil was Irish also... the comp sometimes in uncanny.  Also I spent a ton of time listening to one particular Thin Lizzy album (Jailbreak)... some of the later stuff they did the producer somewhat changed the way Phil sounded.
The second reason they get comped (I think, jmo) is on this side of the pond we have very limited exposure or none to alot of the popular bands from the UK area.  Dire Straits was and is hugely popular over here and so that is what we can relate... just my two cents worth...
besides helping me learn alot more about songwriting and recording this site has introduced me to some great insights to how folks from that area are culturally... and now when I watch the TV programs from other there they really make a lot more sense.  People from the US and the UK (while we sort of have the same language) we think about things and culturally are very different... and of course I will throw this in... In the UK as well as in the US that changes depending on where you are... however there is an overall "vibe" for each.  These are just things I like to think about.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on January 28, 2011, 11:50:50 AMPaul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion, and Clapton's cover of I Shot the Sheriff and others

I never thought of the Paul Simon song like that before but it makes sense Ted... btw, I loved that song...it is so full of hope.

also the Clapton cover I loved and I think that was the first Clapton I ever heard other than Layla

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner