Prescribe me a guitar

Started by FuzzFace, January 19, 2011, 02:05:53 PM

FuzzFace

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 21, 2011, 10:54:09 AM...get a Tele

I held one yesterday.  I like how rugged it is.

Have yet to play it plugged in.

FuzzFace

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 21, 2011, 08:12:32 AMHere is the guitar for you Fuzz, made right in your backyard... Godin Exit 22 http://www.godinguitars.com/godinexit22p.htm

What is this business about Godin's transducers for acoustic sound?

Does that mean it simulates acoustic guitar?

Bluesberry

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on January 21, 2011, 10:58:33 AMWhat is this business about Godin's transducers for acoustic sound?

Some of the Godins have piezos in the bridge and acoustic Pre-amps (edit...not sure about the pre-amp part) with EQ controls built in.  You can use these to get a pretty good acoustic sound on a clean amp or acoustic setting on a BR, etc.  They are not as clear and ringing out as a real acoustic, but for recording they are ok or even live play.  I have a Godin xtSA which has them and I actually used it to simulate acoustic on one or two of my songs and it came out pretty good, it sounds like an acoustic strumming away in the background of the song.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

FuzzFace

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 21, 2011, 11:04:03 AM
Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on January 21, 2011, 10:58:33 AMWhat is this business about Godin's transducers for acoustic sound?

Some of the Godins have piezos in the bridge and acoustic Pre-amps (edit...not sure about the pre-amp part) with EQ controls built in.  You can use these to get a pretty good acoustic sound on a clean amp or acoustic setting on a BR, etc.  They are not as clear and ringing out as a real acoustic, but for recording they are ok or even live play.  I have a Godin xtSA which has them and I actually used it to simulate acoustic on one or two of my songs and it came out pretty good, it sounds like an acoustic strumming away in the background of the song.

Hmm... I like that idea.  It's not always easy to get a clear recording of an acoustic guitar... nor is it possible to record using an acoustic in the middle of the night in an apartment building... this just might suit me.

I can't wait to get off work to go try out these suggestions.

Bluesberry

Godins are incredible value for the money, really lovely guitars and a lot of them are around the $500 range, thats a not a lot for what you get with these beauties..If you are seriously shopping around for an electric you cannot pass up the opportunity to try out Godins, you must in fact.  It would be a real shame to not give them a try-out.  There must be lots of Godins in Montreal to look at.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

FuzzFace

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 21, 2011, 11:11:10 AMThere must be lots of Godins in Montreal to look at.

Oh yeah... almost so much that it's a cliché.

That being said, the Mona Lisa's a cliché.

I will definitely give this a whirl.

Bluesberry

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on January 21, 2011, 11:12:35 AMOh yeah... almost so much that it's a cliché.
Which means that you will get a real good price on one if there are so many around.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

As BB said, the piezo transducers in the bridge allow the Godin to produce a pretty decent acoustic sound. Not as good as the real thing, of course, but it does a pretty good job. Also, some of the BRs have effects patches for acoustic guitar that help to make the Godin's acoustic sound even more realistic. I used my Godin xtSA in my cover of "I'll Find My Way Home" with oldrottenhead for UnpluggedFest.

Another thing the piezo transducers do is allow you to control a guitar synthesiser via a standard 13-pin GK connector built into the guitar. So, if you think you might get a Roland GR-55 or something similar in the future, a guitar that is already GK-compatible is a good investment. Not all Godins have piezos and, of those that do, not all have the GK connector for synth access. Those that do usually have the letters "SA" at the end of the model name (see this page for all of the synth access models).

By the way, you can blend the acoustic sound from the piezos with the humbuckers or single coils to get a range of different sounds. And there are separate 1/4" output jacks so that you could simultaneously connect the piezos to an acoustic amp or PA system, and the magnetic pickups to a regular guitar amp for even more control over the sound. Or, if you just want to use one amp, the acoustic output jack doubles as a mix jack when nothing is plugged into the electric output. The piezos and the magnetic pickups have separate volume controls, so you can get any blend you like. At least, that's how it works on my xtSA. Other models might be slightly different.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

FuzzFace

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 21, 2011, 12:09:24 PMAs BB said, the piezo transducers in the bridge allow the Godin to produce a pretty decent acoustic sound. Not as good as the real thing, of course, but it does a pretty good job. Also, some of the BRs have effects patches for acoustic guitar that help to make the Godin's acoustic sound even more realistic. I used my Godin xtSA in my cover of "I'll Find My Way Home" with oldrottenhead for UnpluggedFest.

Another thing the piezo transducers do is allow you to control a guitar synthesiser via a standard 13-pin GK connector built into the guitar. So, if you think you might get a Roland GR-55 or something similar in the future, a guitar that is already GK-compatible is a good investment. Not all Godins have piezos and, of those that do, not all have the GK connector for synth access. Those that do usually have the letters "SA" at the end of the model name (see this page for all of the synth access models).

By the way, you can blend the acoustic sound from the piezos with the humbuckers or single coils to get a range of different sounds. And there are separate 1/4" output jacks so that you could simultaneously connect the piezos to an acoustic amp or PA system, and the magnetic pickups to a regular guitar amp for even more control over the sound. Or, if you just want to use one amp, the acoustic output jack doubles as a mix jack when nothing is plugged into the electric output. The piezos and the magnetic pickups have separate volume controls, so you can get any blend you like. At least, that's how it works on my xtSA. Other models might be slightly different.

This is a bit technical for me... but I like this functionality. 

I like the idea of having one guitar that could fill the roll of two guitars.  It's mobile.

Tony W

fuzz do me a favor when you go looking. I am dying to get a report on:

Godin Multiac Nylon SA - classical guitar synth model or any other classical you can get your hands on. I can't find one locally, but I hope you can.   

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR